How to Integrate Termwise Between 0 and x?

In summary, the problem involves calculating by long division the series 1/(1+x) = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 + ..., and then integrating termwise between 0 and x. The key is to use the pattern of long division to integrate each term, and then combine them into one integral.
DEMJR
Not sure when this problem in my book says to calculate by long division the series 1/(1+x) = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 + ..., and then integrating termwise between 0 and x.

I am really rusty on these types of problems and need help understanding how to even begin T.T. Thanks for the help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't get the integrating between 0 and x part. But have you ever done long division of polynomials? That's all this is, one of the polynomials is [itex]p(x) = 1 + x[/itex] and the other one is [itex]q(x) = 1[/itex]. Try working with some other polynomials first, then see if you can pick up the pattern doing it this way.

Not sure if I correctly implemented your response but here is what I tried:

1/(1+x) = 1 + 1/x

-x/(1+x) = -x - 1

x^2/(1+x) = x^2 + x

-x^3/(1+x) = -x^3 - x^2

However, this seems to be incorrect because everything cancels except the 1/x

1/(x+1) = 1 + 1/x - x - 1 + x^2 + x -x^3 - x^3 + ...

I must have misinterpreted your response and this is really starting to get to me. Shouldnt everything cancel to where 1/(x+1) = 1 + 1/x ?

DEMJR said:
I must have misinterpreted your response and this is really starting to get to me. Shouldnt everything cancel to where 1/(x+1) = 1 + 1/x ?

No, you can't do this. You can't break up the denomnator like that. As a simple, example, take x = 0.

I suggest googling "long division of polynomials" and look at some examples, then try it with your problem.

1+ x)1- x+ x^2- x^3+ ...

Obviously 1 divides into 1 1 time so we have then subtract
1- x+ x^2- x^3+ ...
1+ x

And 1 divides into -2x -2x times. Multiplying and subtract
-2x+ x^2- x^3+ ...
-2x- 2x^2

Now 1 divides into that 3x^2 times so multiplying and subtracting
3x^2- x^3+ x^4- x^5
3x^2+3x^3

So far we have 1- 2x+ 3x^2. See the pattern?

long hand division example:
Code:
                1      - x + x^2 - x^3 + ...
        -------------------------------
1 + x | 1
          1  + x
          ------
              - x
              - x  - x^2
              ----------
                      x^2
                      x^2 + x^3
                      ----------
                            - x^3
                            - x^3  - x^4
                            ------------
                                        x^4

Thanks. I see the pattern and realize my mistake in my previous post (so silly of me). I did it for the next few terms and got it to be 1 - 2x + 3x^2 - 4x^3 + 5x^4 - 6x^5

How can I use the pattern to integrate termwise between 0 and x?

I forgot to mention in the original post that we are interested in -1 < x <= 1.

DEMJR said:
1/(1+x) = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3 + ...
DEMJR said:
How can I use the pattern to integrate termwise between 0 and x?
I think you're supposed to integrate each term, but since this is a sum, there's no reason these couldn't all be combined into one integral:

[tex]\int_0^x 1 dx - \int_0^x x dx + \int_0^x x^2 dx - \int_0^x x^3 dx \ + \ ... [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is long division of the series?

Long division of the series is a mathematical method used to divide a longer series of numbers by a shorter one. It involves repeatedly subtracting the shorter series from the longer one until the remainder is smaller than the shorter series.

2. How is long division of the series different from regular long division?

Long division of the series is different from regular long division because it involves dividing a series of numbers rather than just two numbers. It also uses repeated subtraction rather than division and multiplication.

3. What is the purpose of long division of the series?

The purpose of long division of the series is to find the quotient and remainder when dividing a longer series of numbers by a shorter one. This method is useful in solving complex mathematical problems and can also be applied in real-life situations, such as dividing a quantity of items into equal groups.

4. What are the steps involved in long division of the series?

The steps involved in long division of the series are as follows:

1. Write the longer series as the dividend and the shorter series as the divisor.
  2. Start with the first digit of the dividend and see how many times the divisor can be subtracted from it.
  3. Write the result (quotient) above the dividend.
  4. Subtract the product of the quotient and divisor from the corresponding digits of the dividend.
  5. Bring down the next digit of the dividend and repeat the process until the remainder is smaller than the divisor.
  6. The final result will be the quotient and remainder.

5. Is long division of the series still relevant in today's computational world?

Yes, long division of the series is still relevant in today's computational world. While most mathematical problems can be solved using calculators or computers, understanding the concept of long division of the series helps with problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts.