Recommend a good E&M undergrad book that isn't Griffiths

In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is looking for a better textbook than Griffiths for studying electromagnetism. They want a book that covers conceptual understanding and includes derivations of relevant formulas. Some recommendations given include Purcell, Schwartz, Dugdale, Franklin, Reitz, Wangsness, Shadowitz, and Nayfeh and Brussel.
TomServo
Don't care for Griffiths, and I think it would make a lousy reference given how many important theorems, results, etc. are hidden in the problems rather than included normally. I'd like a book that ideally has derivations of all the relevant formula and CONCEPTUAL descriptions of phenomena, covering the same material Griffiths covers. Just better. I want it to prepare for the GRE and for personal betterment. Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may not cover everything in Griffiths but for conceptual understanding I recommend Purcell.

For conceptual understanding and a beautiful exposition of the unity of electricity and magnetism, see Schwartz, Classical Electrodynamics. It is more advanced than Purcell, but like it is written by a Nobel prize winner and is both intuitive and physical. It is a slim book that is intended to provide insights rather than covering the whole range of topics found in Griffiths. It is available inexpensively from Dover.

Second Jorriss's recommendation of Purcell.

I third Jorriss's reccomendation. =D

Thanks.

I like Dugdale's Essentials of Electromagnetism. It starts from Maxwell's equations as the big picture, then discusses the conditions under which eg. electrostatics or circuit theory are a excellent approximations.

Last edited:
Look at Franklin, "Classical Electromagnetism".
It is a graduate text, but gives a good math background, and fills in the steps.

I did my undergrad EM with Reitz' "Foundations of Electromagnetic Theory". I liked it, it's older than Griffiths' but the newer editions cover practically all of the same topics.

If you're looking for PGRE preparation, I'd suggest you work through the exams first and see what your weaknesses in EM are, then go grab one of those 1000 problems in E&M books and work through problems.

Dr Transport said:
Wangsness text is much better than Griffiths...

Generally but it depends on the chapter, but I do like Wangsness, my professor's using it for E&M now; Shadowitz is another text that's pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the key differences between "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson?

Both books cover the fundamentals of classical electromagnetism, but Jackson's book delves deeper into mathematical derivations and includes more advanced topics such as relativity and field theory. Additionally, Jackson's book is geared towards upper-level undergraduate and graduate students, while Griffiths' book is more suitable for introductory undergraduate courses.

What makes "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell a good alternative to Griffiths' book?

Purcell's book offers a unique approach to teaching electromagnetism by focusing on conceptual understanding rather than mathematical derivations. It is also highly praised for its clear and engaging writing style, making it a great option for students who struggle with the abstract concepts in Griffiths' book.

How does "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" by Daniel Fleisch compare to Griffiths' book?

Fleisch's book is much shorter and more concise than Griffiths' book, making it a good option for students looking for a more streamlined approach to learning electromagnetism. It also includes helpful diagrams and real-world examples to aid in understanding the concepts.

What are some alternative books for students who are interested in a more mathematical approach to electromagnetism?

"The Classical Theory of Fields" by L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz, "Introduction to Electrodynamics and Radiation" by Robert J. Adler, and "Principles of Electrodynamics" by Melvin Schwartz are all highly recommended for their rigorous mathematical treatments of electromagnetism.

Are there any online resources or textbooks that are equivalent to Griffiths' book?

Yes, there are several free online resources such as MIT's OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy that offer lectures and practice problems on electromagnetism. In terms of textbooks, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Benjamin Crowell is a free online textbook that covers similar topics to Griffiths' book.