Why Do Harmonic Motion Equations Differ Across Sources?

In summary: Acos(\omega t) + Bsin(\omega t), where \epsilon is the amplitude you want to keep.In summary, the equations for x(t) depend on the type of harmonic oscillator under consideration, with the time-dependent position equation given by the earlier example. When the body is displaced and released from rest, the two terms in the equation are equal and opposite.
Cog77
I was hoping that someone could explain why these different equations can be found from different sources please.

The time dependent position, x(t), of an underdamped harmonic oscillator is given by:

[itex]x(t)=e^{-\gamma t}acos(\omega_{1}t-\alpha)[/itex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the damping coefficient, and [itex]\omega_{1}[/itex] is the frequency of the damped oscillator. This is the equation I am familiar with and can be found in many explanations of harmonic oscillators, e.g. here.

In contrast, Wolfram gives the following equation (note that this is copied from their website, and it uses different notation to the equation above. In particular [itex]\gamma[/itex] is NOT the damping coefficient):

[itex]x(t)=e^{-\frac{\beta t}{2}}[Acos(\gamma t)+Bsin(\gamma t)][/itex]

I believe that changing this equation to use the same notation as the first thing I posted gives this:

[itex]x(t)=e^{-\gamma t}[Acos(\omega_{1}t)+Bsin(\omega_{1}t)][/itex]

So here is what I'd like to understand:

1) Why are these different? I tried to see if there was a case when [itex]A>>B[/itex], which I found happens if the initial velocity is zero, [itex]\dot{x}(0)=0[/itex], and [itex]\zeta<<\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]. Where [itex]\zeta[/itex] is the damping ratio. In other words, when there is very little damping the Wolfram equation reduces to the shorter equation. Is that correct?

2) Whether or not that's correct, I don't understand why there would sometimes be two terms in the equation. What does that physically represent?

3) I actually started looking at this after getting confused about the overdamped case in a similar way. It also has two terms, and I believe that it reduces to a single term when there is a lot of damping ([itex]\zeta>>1[/itex]). Again, what does it physically mean when there are two terms? Although hopefully understanding one case will lead to an understanding of both, so maybe this question is redundant.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cog77! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Cog77 said:
[itex]x(t)=e^{-\gamma t}acos(\omega_{1}t-\alpha)[/itex]

[itex]x(t)=e^{-\gamma t}[Acos(\omega_{1}t)+Bsin(\omega_{1}t)][/itex]

A = acosα, B = asinα :wink:

All the equations are equivalent to each other

Hint: to your first equation, apply the trig identity

cos (u - v) = cos u cos v + sin u sin v

Aah thanks guys! Should have spotted that...

So physically the two terms account for the amplitude and the phase?

What about the overdamped case?

[itex]x(t)=Ae^{r_{-}t}+Be^{r_{+}t}[/itex]

with

[itex]r_{\pm}=\frac{1}{2}-\beta\pm\sqrt{\beta^{2}-4\omega_{0}^{2}}[/itex]

Does the fact that the expression contains faster and slower decaying terms mean something physically? This was where my confusion originally came from as I always assumed there was just a single exponential term in the overdamped case.

An intriguing question. I can't think of any significance in there being a fast term and a slow term, but would love to be shown to be missing something.

Instead, I can, perhaps remove some of the motivation for the search. It is easy to show that in the case when the body is displaced and released from rest, A and B are equal and opposite. In that when you pull out [itex]e^{- \frac{\beta t}{2}}[/itex] as a factor you're left with a multiplied cosh function. So it doesn't look like two added terms any longer!

This is somewhat similar to writing [itex]A\ \mbox {cos}\ \omega t + B\ \mbox {sin}\ \omega t [/itex] as [itex]a\ \mbox {cos}\ (\omega t + \epsilon)[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Why Do Harmonic Motion Equations Differ Across Sources?

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth repeatedly around a central equilibrium point. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, resulting in a sinusoidal motion.

2. What is Hooke's law and how is it related to harmonic motion?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This relationship is also observed in harmonic motion, where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

3. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the period of harmonic motion relate to the frequency?

The period (T) of harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion. It is inversely proportional to the frequency (f), which is the number of cycles per second. T = 1/f.

5. What are some real-life examples of harmonic motion?

Some examples of harmonic motion in everyday life include the swinging of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the motion of a mass on a spring. It is also commonly observed in the motion of waves, such as sound waves and water waves.