Writing chemical equations w/ catalysts

In summary, the conversation was about a science lab where hydrogen peroxide and potassium iodide were used to explore chemical equations. The student needed help finding links to websites that explain how to properly write equations with catalysts. The equation they came up with was 2(H2O2) [yield w/ KI above the sign] 2(H2O) + O2 and they wanted to know if it was correct and why. They also requested an explanation and links to finish their project. The summary also includes a suggestion to use Google and limit searches to .edu sites. The student ultimately found a helpful website on hydrogen peroxide decomposition.
ob94
hi. for a science lab in school we were discussing/exploring chemical equations...
we had hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) which was catalyzed by potassium iodide (KI)
for our lab report we need links to a website which describes how to properly write equations w/ catalysts. so firstly is this right:

2(H2O2) [yield w/ KI above the sign] 2(H2O) + O2

as a note, if i put 2 then parentheses it means that 2 is the coefficient.
secondly, could anybody provide me with helpful links or an explination to why the above equations is right (or wrong if it is) and why? i'd like an explination and a few links so i could finish my project and do well on it.

i'd appreciate an answer ASAP. thanks <3

Physics news on Phys.org
another thing, what would that problem look like in words?

something like this id imagine (but not positive):

hydrogen peroxide (L) catalyzed by a potassium iodide crystal

You are more or less OK, you may want to use word "decomposition". As for finding links - google seems to be the best idea. You may want to limit your searches to .edu sites, try something like "hydrogen peroxide decomposition site:edu"

okay, thank you very, very much.
this really helped, i found a perfect website! :]

(and the fact that it was a decomp equation really helped me too.)
thanks again.

1. What is a catalyst?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. It works by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur.

2. Why are catalysts important in chemical equations?

Catalysts are important because they increase the rate of a chemical reaction, making it more efficient and cost-effective. They also allow for the production of desired products while minimizing unwanted byproducts.

3. How do catalysts affect the overall reaction?

Catalysts do not change the overall thermodynamics of a chemical reaction, but they do affect the kinetics. They lower the activation energy, which allows the reaction to occur more quickly. This results in a faster rate of reaction, but the overall products and reactants remain the same.

4. Can any substance be a catalyst?

No, not all substances can act as catalysts. A substance must have a specific chemical structure and properties to be able to lower the activation energy and participate in a chemical reaction without being consumed.

5. How do you include a catalyst in a chemical equation?

Catalysts are typically written above the arrow in a chemical equation, indicating that they are not consumed in the reaction. Sometimes, they may also be written in parentheses after the reactants or products.