Electrical or Electronics Engineer career queries

In summary, the conversation discusses various job roles in the fields of systems engineering, embedded systems engineering, robotics, and software engineering. The speaker expresses concerns about specializing in a specific product or service and becoming obsolete in the long run. They ask for insight on which job roles offer transferable skills and are less monotonous and more fulfilling. The responder shares their experience in different roles and suggests that all of them have skills that can be applied in other areas. They also mention that a typical day in the office can involve various tasks depending on the stage of the project, and that finding a company with a variety of interesting work is important.
mynick
Hello,
I would like to hear from people who have first hand working experience(have been employed) what are they doing(a typical day in the office) on the following fields:
a)Systems Engineering
b)Embedded systems Engineer
c)Robotics,systems and control
d)analogue and/or digital design
e)software Engineering (seems to be a bit popular,but i don't want to waste my time making nvdia software,or those stupid tablets and ipads and the such...because it is temporary and too specific skills,soon or later these products become obsolete,i don't know what they really do... i am guessing)

I could become an expert in making a very specific product or service but in reality useless and out of job when that product or service is no longer in need,because too much focus in something very very specific makes you useless in the long run.

So, what is a typical day in the office and which of the above jobs seem to give you transferable skills to other similar jobs?Plus, which are less monotonous ,boring-repeating the same thing?More fulfiling?

Thanks in advance for the replies,if any...

Physics news on Phys.org
Over the variety of projects I have worked I have at one time or another filled all those roles: design basic circuit cards, VHDL coding, designed and implemented controllers, written driver level software, written full programs for embedded systems, and created system models and simulations.

Any of those jobs have skills transferable to other areas. If you are designed controllers, how are you doing it? These days almost 100% in software so there is strong carry over intro software engineering. If you are designing embedded systems, you are probably doing a bit of software and hardware design... etc.

The typical day at the office depends on the stage of the project. If it is early in a project you might spend all day studying requirements, digging through data sheets and other documentation, and building a conceptual design. Towards the middle of a project you may be actively coding, designing circuits, laying out a circuit card, etc. Towards the end you may spend most of your day testing, debugging, and troubleshooting the design. Throughout this time there may be weeks you spend just doing documentation like requirements specification, design documentation, test plans and test reports.

All those areas have parts that are monotonous and parts that are fulfilling. The key is to find a company you like working at and that you feel gives you a broad range of interesting stuff to do. I have been very lucky in that regard but I know plenty of people who have not.

1. What is the difference between an electrical engineer and an electronics engineer?

An electrical engineer focuses on the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. They design, develop, and test electrical systems, such as power generation and distribution, and electronic devices, such as computers and communication systems. Electronics engineers, on the other hand, specialize in the design, development, and maintenance of electronic circuits and components, such as microchips and sensors. Both fields require a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer science, but the focus of their work is different.

2. What are the job responsibilities of an electrical or electronics engineer?

The job responsibilities of an electrical or electronics engineer may vary depending on their specific role or industry. However, in general, they are responsible for designing, developing, and testing electrical or electronic systems and components. They also analyze data, create technical reports, and troubleshoot any issues that may arise. Additionally, they may be involved in project management, overseeing the production and installation of their designs.

3. What skills are necessary to become an electrical or electronics engineer?

To become an electrical or electronics engineer, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. In addition, being detail-oriented, organized, and able to work well in a team are important skills for this career. Good communication skills are also necessary as engineers often need to present their ideas and designs to colleagues and clients.

4. What are the educational requirements for a career as an electrical or electronics engineer?

To become an electrical or electronics engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, electronics engineering, or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree for certain positions. It is also important to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs during college. Continuing education and obtaining professional certifications can also be beneficial for career advancement.

5. What are the job prospects for electrical or electronics engineers?

The job outlook for electrical and electronics engineers is positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in this field is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is attributed to the increasing demand for electronic devices and systems in various industries, such as healthcare, telecommunications, and renewable energy. Additionally, the advancement of technology and the need for sustainable energy sources are expected to create new job opportunities for engineers in this field.