How would I find the magnitude of this wave.(complex numbers/quanties)

• Thread starter zumbo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the given equation represents a complex wave with two components, one traveling in the positive y-direction with amplitude 2 and the other in the negative y-direction with amplitude 4. The magnitude of this wave can be calculated by rewriting it in the form 2e^{i(ky + \omega t)} + 4e^{i(ky - \omega t)} and taking the absolute value, which will depend on time. Alternatively, the magnitude can be calculated as \sqrt{20+16\cos(\omega t)}.
zumbo1
ψ(y,t)=2*e^(iky)*e^(iωt) + 4*e^(iky)*e^(-iωt)
Here is my work for the problem
2e^(iky)*(e^(iωt)+2e^(-iωt)); 2e^(iky)*(cos(ωt)+i*sin(ωt)+2cos(ωt)-2i*sin(ωt));
2e^(iky)*(3cos(ωt)-isin(ωt))
How would you continue this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked for the absolute value (or magnitude) of [itex]2e^{iky}(3\cos(\omega t)-i\sin(\omega t))[/itex].
I'm sure you know how to calculate the magnitude of a complex number.
The magnitude will depend on time.

My advice would be to rewrite the wave in the form:

[tex] \Psi(y,t) = 2e^{i(ky + \omega t)} + 4e^{i(ky - \omega t)} [/tex]

and it should be obvious from this form that you have the sum of two sinusoidal waves, one traveling to the left (er, negative y-direction) with amplitude 2, and the other to the right (+ y-direction) with amplitude 4. If that is not obvious, then consider that if this is really a physical wave propagating along the y-axis, then the physical wave is given by:

[tex] Re[\Psi(y,t)] = 2\cos{(ky + \omega t)} + 4\cos{(ky - \omega t)} [/tex]

To be honest, I'm not sure how/don't feel like putting in the effort at this hour to calculate the combined amplitude of the two waves, and whether that corresponds to the magnitude of the complex number psi.

Edit, just saw Galileo's post, so maybe I was way off on this one/answering the wrong question.

How do you edit posts?
Anyway I end up getting (20+16cos(wt))^1/2 for my magnitude.

The magnitude of [itex]2e^{iky}(3\cos(\omega t)-i\sin(\omega t))[/itex] is not [itex]\sqrt{20+16\cos(\omega t)}[/itex].
Try again.

Click the edit button at the bottom of your post to edit.

1. How do I calculate the magnitude of a complex number?

To find the magnitude of a complex number, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of the number.

2. Can the magnitude of a complex number be negative?

No, the magnitude of a complex number is always a positive real number. It represents the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane.

3. How does the magnitude of a complex number relate to its phase angle?

The magnitude of a complex number is related to its phase angle through the polar form of the number. The magnitude is the distance from the origin, and the phase angle is the direction of the complex number on the complex plane.

4. What is the difference between the magnitude and absolute value of a complex number?

The magnitude of a complex number is the distance from the origin on the complex plane, while the absolute value is the distance from the origin on the real number line. The magnitude takes into account both the real and imaginary parts, while the absolute value only considers the real part.

5. Can the magnitude of a complex number be greater than 1?

Yes, the magnitude of a complex number can be greater than 1. This means that the number is farther from the origin on the complex plane, indicating a larger real and/or imaginary part.