Randomness of Computer & Calculator

In summary: However, I don't think it's necessary to worry too much about it. In summary, there is no such thing as a genuinely random number in this sense.
darkar
Here's the question, what should u do to check whether the randomness of number given uot by computer is indeed random?

Physics news on Phys.org
there's no such thing as a genuinely random number in this sense. or at least that's my two penn'th. isn't there some quote about if you want a random number generator then you'd better make sure that the numbers aren't picked "randomly"?

you could hypothesis test a sample, say on the assumption they are uniformly chosen from the interval [0,1] i suppose, though why is this in calculus?

Digital computers are deterministic. Consequently, the typical answer is that people use pseudo-random number generators. There is actually a good bit of theory that goes into them. Knuth is (as usual) excellent on this topic. I think it's volume two of the art of programming and covers designing and test PRNG algorithms.

Quantum physics suggests that there are techniques, for example certain types of two slit experiments, that generate truly random numbers.

There is no way to say if A number given by a random number generator is "random". There exist ways to determine the "randomness" of a sequence of random numbers.

What I do to get rid of the pseudo-randomness as much as possible is this...
When writing a program or whatever, I'll make several loops that randomly generate a seed value for my random number generator, then generate the number. After looping this 100 times, I've at least arrived at a number that is more random than a pseudo random, but still isn't perfectly random..

hmm.. what's that called when you have a phrase like "pretty ugly"? that "perfectly random" kinda seems that way.

HallsofIvy said:
There is no way to say if A number given by a random number generator is "random". There exist ways to determine the "randomness" of a sequence of random numbers.

So, what is the ways to determine the randomness of a sequence of random numbers?

darkar said:
So, what is the ways to determine the randomness of a sequence of random numbers?

I was afraid you'd ask that! It's been a long time since I have studied that. Here is a website that has a number of references:
http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/RES/RANDTEST.HTM

There are some random number generators that attempt to generate numbers not from some prescribed formula, but by using noise coming from computer parts (like the sound card). I don't know the specifics, but you can imagine that would be comparably better. If you browse around the web, you might find some source files that would let you get a hold of those kind of numbers inside a program.

What is randomness in computers and calculators?

Randomness in computers and calculators refers to the ability of these devices to generate unpredictable and unbiased results. It is an essential feature for tasks such as generating random numbers or shuffling data, and it relies on complex algorithms and external sources of randomness, such as user input or atmospheric noise.

How is randomness achieved in computers and calculators?

Randomness is achieved through a process called "pseudo-random number generation." This involves using mathematical algorithms and data inputs, such as the device's internal clock or user input, to produce a sequence of numbers that appear random. These algorithms are designed to be unpredictable and unbiased, but they are not truly random as they are based on a defined set of rules.

Why is randomness important in computers and calculators?

Randomness is important in computers and calculators because it allows for a wide range of applications, such as generating secure encryption keys, simulating complex systems, and conducting statistical analyses. It also helps to prevent bias and ensure fairness in tasks such as randomized surveys or games.

Can randomness in computers and calculators be controlled?

While the randomness generated by computers and calculators cannot be controlled directly, it can be controlled indirectly through the algorithms and inputs used. For example, by adjusting the algorithm or changing the seed value, the resulting sequence of random numbers can be altered. However, true random events, such as atmospheric noise, cannot be controlled.

What are the limitations of randomness in computers and calculators?

One limitation of randomness in computers and calculators is that it is based on predetermined algorithms and inputs, making it pseudo-random rather than truly random. Additionally, external factors, such as hardware malfunctions or faulty algorithms, can also affect the randomness of results. It is also important to note that randomness does not guarantee equal distribution or unbiased outcomes, as it is based on probability rather than certainty.