Double integral with absolute value of x-y

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the integral of the absolute value of (x-y) multiplied by 6x^2y, with x and y ranging from 0 to 1. The person was struggling to figure out how to break up the problem and identify the different pieces. Eventually, they were able to solve it by plotting the absolute value function in 3D in Maple. They also realized that they had accidentally doubled the problem and could have just added the two parts instead.
Goalie_Ca
int(int(abs(x-y)*6*x^2*y)) the range of x and y are 0,1. Normally i'd check to split it up and change the limits, but i think my brain is broken because I'm not seeing it at the moment.

simple question that i need to know how to do for stats without using maple :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, try restating what you're trying to do. You're specifically interested in breaking things up based on |x - y|, so consider that all by itself... what are the pieces? How do you identify which piece a point is in?

edit: I think i got it now. I plotted the abs function in 3d in maple. that helped.

Lol, why did i double it again? I should have just added both parts!

Code:
> int(int(abs(x-y)*6*x^2*y,x=0..1),y=0..1);
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -
> int(int((x-y)*6*x^2*y,y=0..x),x=0..1);
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -
> int(int((y-x)*6*x^2*y,x=0..y),y=0..1);
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --

Last edited:

Related to Double integral with absolute value of x-y

What is a double integral with absolute value of x-y?

A double integral with absolute value of x-y is a type of mathematical calculation that involves finding the area between two curves in the x-y plane. The absolute value function ensures that the area is always positive.

What is the purpose of using absolute value in a double integral?

The purpose of using absolute value in a double integral is to ensure that the area being calculated is always positive. This is necessary when finding the area between two curves that may intersect and create negative values.

How is a double integral with absolute value of x-y calculated?

A double integral with absolute value of x-y is calculated by first setting up the integral with the limits of integration and the absolute value function. Then, the integral is solved using integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

What are the applications of double integrals with absolute value of x-y?

Double integrals with absolute value of x-y have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and probabilities in a variety of real-world scenarios.

What are some common mistakes when solving double integrals with absolute value of x-y?

Some common mistakes when solving double integrals with absolute value of x-y include forgetting to apply the absolute value function, using incorrect limits of integration, and making algebraic errors during the integration process. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check the final answer for accuracy.