Can Substitution Simplify the Integral of (x + arcsin(x)) / sqrt(1-x^2)?

• Thread starter cristina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the first integral is easy to solve, but the second is a bit more complicated to solve but it is still doable.
cristina
Int (x+ arcsin (x))/(sqrt(1-x^2))

It's not working when I put U = (x+ arcsin (x)) and dU= 1/(sqrt(1-x^2)
Is there anyway to solve it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If u = x + arcsin(x), then du = (1 + 1/sqrt(1 - x^2))dx. Maybe that's why it "isn't working".

Split the integral and remember (or look up) the derivative of arcsin(x)

As Galileo says:

[tex]\int \frac{x + \arcsin x}{\sqrt{1 + x^2}} dx = \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1 + x^2}} dx + \int \frac{\arcsin x}{\sqrt{1 + x^2}}dx[/tex]

Which makes the former integral of that quite easy, however the latter integral is of the form [itex]f(x) / f'(x)[/itex] which has no standard result. Although it does have a solution it is very long and extremely complex, are you sure this is the integral you were given?

Zurtex said:
As Galileo says:

[tex]\int \frac{x + \arcsin x}{\sqrt{1 + x^2}} dx = \int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1 + x^2}} dx + \int \frac{\arcsin x}{\sqrt{1 + x^2}}dx[/tex]

Which makes the former integral of that quite easy, however the latter integral is of the form [itex]f(x) / f'(x)[/itex] which has no standard result. Although it does have a solution it is very long and extremely complex, are you sure this is the integral you were given?

The integrand is [tex]\frac{\arcsin x}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}[/tex]
with a minus sign, so the integrand has the form [itex]f(x)f'(x)[/itex] :smile:

I'm really sorry, I don't know where my mind went, your totally right.

Can I do it with UV - Integra (VdU)

cristina said:
Can I do it with UV - Integra (VdU)
Your probably can but both the integrals are simple substiutions.

can you explain more pls?

Whenever you have an integral of the form:

[tex]\int gf(x) * a * f'(x) dx[/tex]

Where 'a' is some constant, then if you use the substitution [itex]u = f(x)[/itex] you get:

[tex]du = f'(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]a \int g(u) du[/tex]

You can do this quite easily with both your integrals to get fairly easy integrals.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to determine the area under a curve in a graph or the accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval. It is often used in calculus and is represented by the symbol ∫.

What is the process for solving an integral?

The process for solving an integral depends on the type of integral and the function involved. In general, it involves finding an antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. This can be done using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities.

Why is it important to solve integrals?

Integrals are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to find the exact values of quantities that are continuously changing. They also have many practical applications, such as finding areas, volumes, and the average value of a function.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques and rules that can make solving integrals easier and more efficient. Some common shortcuts include using symmetry, taking advantage of known trigonometric identities, and using integration tables or software.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making errors in algebra or arithmetic, and not checking the solution by differentiating it. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and to use the correct integration technique for the given function.

Back