How to find the max and min of a function on a fixed interval.

In summary, the process to find the minimum and maximum of a function on a given interval is: first, find the first derivative and equate it to zero to find the critical points. Then, find the second derivative and evaluate it at the critical points to determine if they are minimum or maximum points. Finally, evaluate the function at the critical points and the endpoints of the interval, and the smallest value will be the minimum and the largest value will be the maximum.
wiz0r
Hello, I got the following problem;

Find the min and max of the following function, on the following interval;

f(x) = x^3 - 6x^2 + 9x + 15, [0, 5]

Ok, to my knowledge, what I need to do is

I: Find the first derivative and equal it to zero, so;

f'(x) = 3x^2 - 12x + 9
0 = 3x^2 - 12x + 9

x = {1, 3}

II: Now, I find the second derivative to determine if it's a Minimum or a Maximum, so;

f''(x) = 6x - 12

f''(1) = 6(1) - 12 = -6

Since -6 < 0 it's a minimum

f''(3) = 6(3) - 12 = 6

Since 6 > 0 it's a maximun, right?

Now, what do I do with the interval?? Am I doing it wrong?

Please, help me fast, I got a test in 3 hours, and I need to know this before my test!

Thanks,
~Edwin

Physics news on Phys.org
What my friend told me to do is to;

Find the first derivative and it's zeros. Then to evaluate those zeros AND the end points of the interval on the initial equation, and then the biggest value of those will be the maximun and the lowest the minimun (the points), is that right?

Help me, please.

Yes. Now find f(x) for each of those values (including the endpoints). The smallest of those values is the min, the largest is the max.

Ok, so;

f(0) = 15
f(1) = 1 - 6 + 9 + 15 = 19
f(3) = 27 - 54 + 27 + 15 = 15
f(5) = 35

Therefore,

Minimum = (0,15) and (3, 15);
Maximum = (5,35)

Am I correct?

Looks right to me.

Woot, thanks a lot!

FAQ: How to find the max and min of a function on a fixed interval.

1. How do you determine the maximum and minimum values of a function on a fixed interval?

To find the maximum and minimum values of a function on a fixed interval, you first need to find the derivative of the function. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the critical points. Next, plug in the critical points and the endpoints of the interval into the original function to find the corresponding y-values. The largest y-value is the maximum and the smallest y-value is the minimum.

2. What is the difference between a local maximum/minimum and a global maximum/minimum?

A local maximum/minimum is a point where the function reaches its highest/lowest value within a specific range, while a global maximum/minimum is the highest/lowest value of the entire function. A global maximum/minimum can also be referred to as an absolute maximum/minimum.

3. Can a function have multiple maximum or minimum values on a fixed interval?

Yes, a function can have multiple maximum and minimum values on a fixed interval. This occurs when the function is not strictly increasing or decreasing within the interval and has multiple local extrema.

4. What is the significance of finding the maximum and minimum values of a function?

Finding the maximum and minimum values of a function can provide valuable information about the behavior and characteristics of the function. It can help determine the range of possible values, identify critical points, and optimize the function for various applications.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the maximum and minimum values of a function on a fixed interval?

There are various shortcuts and tricks that can be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function. These include looking for patterns in the function, using symmetry, and using the first and second derivative tests. However, it is important to always verify the results using the standard method mentioned in the answer to the first question.

Back