Calculating moment of inertia of a filled cylinder

In summary, The conversation discusses calculating the moment of inertia of a cylinder filled with a substance rolling down an inclined plane. It is explained that the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = int(r^2 dm), where r is known and dm is a function of mass density-position and volume differential. The density of the substance may need to be found in order to calculate dm. It is also mentioned that an approximation can be used to find the numerical answer. The effect of a liquid with zero viscosity on the moment of inertia is also discussed.
asinewave
Hi all,

I was wondering how to calculate the moment of inertia of a cylinder that is filled with a substance and is rolling down an inclined plane.

I know that I = int(r^2 dm), and I know what r is... but I gather that dm may be a complicated function of mass density-position and some volume differential.

I was wondering if someone can explain to me how this works ... I may have to find the density of the substance, right? Is that the only way I can find it?

Also, I understand that I may very well end up with an approximation, but that' sfine.. as long as its reasonably accurate. I want a numerical answer (even if it is a reasonable approximation).. not an exact integral.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the density is uniform, then the moment of inertia is that of a solid cylinder (what changes is the amount of mass, which may change the value of the inertia, but the expression is the same).

A sine wave-
If the liquid has zero viscosity, it will not rotate as the cylinder rolls down the inclined plane. So although it contributes mass to the cylinder, it contributes nothing to the moment of inertia.
Bob S

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. What if the liquid has a nonzero viscosity?

1. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia of a filled cylinder?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia of a filled cylinder is I = (1/2)MR2, where M is the mass of the cylinder and R is the radius of the cylinder.

2. How do you determine the mass of a filled cylinder?

To determine the mass of a filled cylinder, you can use the formula M = ρV, where ρ is the density of the material inside the cylinder and V is the volume of the cylinder.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a filled cylinder be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a filled cylinder cannot be negative. It is always a positive value due to the nature of the formula and the physical properties of the cylinder.

4. What is the difference between moment of inertia and moment of inertia of a filled cylinder?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while moment of inertia of a filled cylinder specifically refers to the moment of inertia of a cylinder with material filled inside it.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a filled cylinder compare to that of a hollow cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a filled cylinder is greater than that of a hollow cylinder, as the added material inside the cylinder increases its mass and therefore increases its resistance to changes in rotational motion.