How can I find a job as a chemist?

In summary, the speaker is a chemistry graduate from a university in Turkey and is struggling to find a job in the chemical industry. They have applied to various companies but have not received any offers. They are considering pursuing a master's degree in chemistry or exploring other job opportunities outside of the field. They are also limited to job opportunities in Turkey due to financial and visa constraints. The speaker is currently working in a non-chemistry related job and is seeking advice on how to improve their chances of success in job interviews.
yiberkit
Ive graduated from a bachelor degree in chemistry from an ordinary university in Turkey in 2012. So i live in a city which has low chemical company portfolio.
But I can go another big cities which are higher chemical company profiles and job opportunities and so on.
And I did some job interviews on chemical companies that they are in polymer, water treatment station, pharmaceutical, mining and also painting. But nowhere called me after that. I did as best as I can in these interviews. Only i couldn't answer to questions about chemical structure and some chemical equipments.I think that doesn't matter. So , what's the wrong about me? Why they won't call me again? and to say "yes, we accept you". There are 2 years already passed from my graduation.
I am good at computer, science reading/writing, web design and intonality.Those are not related to chemical and chemistry , i know but I didnt spend much time on the university chemistry lab because of too many students were there and you couldn't use equipments as it should be like that.
So, what would you prefer to me?
Should i go for master degree in chem. or different field?
Or try to decide to find a job in different area than chemistry? But which area?
Also i am only looking for a job in Turkey. Because i don't have much money and visa to get outside of the country . Also i don't believe the foreign country's company's identify my chemistry degree as a low reputation uni in a low reputation country.
So what is the escape-way of being newbie in chemical area; nobody wants to hire me and nobody wants to give a job for non-experienced chemist, i know . But how can non-experienced chemist find a job?
I am studying chemical lab. instructions about company's chemical area before going to interviews.
I also research and read much more articles about chemistry on internet.
But unfortunately job market is very low for chemistry area.
If i could have been a civil engineer, i would have been find a job easily but with chemistry degree you cant...
I would like to do process chemistry career rather than other routine analysis jobs currently in chemistry field as I mentioned of this info.
But no process chemist nor chemist job that i can't find. I don't know why but I am seeking to educate myself how other chemists find jobs.
Now I do a carrying job(coolie)in a glassware storage , i am carrying chairs, tables, basins and other glassware plastics from storage to truck.
This job is not for my degree, but i do it for money.
So what's the interview success methods that you have already did before and accepted by boss? Tell me...

Physics news on Phys.org
Only i couldn't answer to questions about chemical structure and some chemical equipments.I think that doesn't matter.
If those chemicals and equipment are related to the job or if the questions were very basic, it does matter - it shows if you are qualified for the job (or chemistry-related jobs in general).
Why they won't call me again?
Did you ask them? Don't expect honest, detailed answers, but at least some hints why other candidates were better are possible.

I don't see your grade in your post, but that should be an obvious problem if it is bad.

I am good at computer
That statement is way too broad. Do you have experience with relevant software? Chemistry-related software? Office applications? Programming skills? Writing "I am good at computers" sounds like a negative point in applications.
science reading/writing
Beyond the usual level for a bachelor degree? Do you have publications, posters, ...?
web design
Probably hard to use this in an application, unless the job requires some online presentation of results.

What is "intonality"?

Should i go for master degree in chem. or different field?
I don't know about chemistry, in physics it would help a lot - especially if you get it in a different country.

Also i am only looking for a job in Turkey. Because i don't have much money and visa to get outside of the country .
I thought the idea was to earn money, not to spend it...
No idea about visa regulations.

I would like to do process chemistry career rather than other routine analysis jobs currently in chemistry field as I mentioned of this info.
But no process chemist nor chemist job that i can't find. I don't know why but I am seeking to educate myself how other chemists find jobs.
Maybe those routine analysis jobs are the usual way to start a career? I don't know about chemistry in particular, but there are always jobs that require some years of experience and jobs that do not. If you apply for the wrong type, you won't get a job.
Don't be picky at that point - any chemistry-related job will help to get a better job afterwards.

1. How do I get started in my job search as a chemist?

To get started in your job search as a chemist, you should first update your resume and tailor it to highlight your relevant experience and skills in the field of chemistry. You can also create a profile on online job search platforms and attend career fairs or networking events to connect with potential employers.

2. What skills and qualifications do I need to have to become a chemist?

To become a chemist, you typically need a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field. It is also important to have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and good communication skills. Depending on the specific job, additional skills and qualifications may be required.

3. How can I stand out in a competitive job market as a chemist?

To stand out in a competitive job market as a chemist, you can consider obtaining additional certifications or advanced degrees, gaining relevant work experience through internships or research projects, and developing a strong professional network. Additionally, showcasing your passion for chemistry and enthusiasm for the field in your job application can also make you stand out.

4. What types of industries or companies hire chemists?

Chemists can find employment in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, chemical manufacturing, food and beverage, environmental science, and government agencies. Some companies that commonly hire chemists include pharmaceutical companies, research institutions, and quality control laboratories.

5. How can networking help me in my job search as a chemist?

Networking can be a valuable tool in your job search as a chemist. By connecting with professionals in the field, attending industry events, and joining relevant organizations, you can gain insights into potential job opportunities and make valuable connections that may lead to job offers. Networking can also help you learn about the industry and stay updated on the latest developments and trends in chemistry.