What is the difference between Hilbert Spaces and other metric spaces?

In summary, there are various types of spaces in mathematics such as Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, metric spaces, Euclidean spaces, vector spaces, and Reimann spaces. These spaces have slight differences and some are special cases of topological spaces. The need for these various spaces arises because different types of spaces have different properties and some results can only be obtained by using specific types of spaces. For example, a subset is compact in a metric space if and only if it is totally bounded and complete. The complex number field is analogous to these spaces as it contains or generalizes other number fields. Additionally, not all metric spaces are complete, but all Hilbert spaces are complete.
Newtime
I've been reading about them (briefly), and can't see any large difference between them and metric spaces or even euclidean spaces for that matter. What am I missing?

I read a Hilbert Space is a complete inner product space. But a metric space is a complete space as well with the only difference in definition being the omission of the possibility to measure angles (in Rudin's "Principles of Analysis," and my definition of Hilbert space from Wikipedia...).

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual definition of a Hilbert space is that the number of dimensions is infinite. Essentially it is infinite dimension analog of Euclidean space (finite dimensional). Both of them have the concept of inner product which leads to the definition of length. In both cases the length of a vector X is (X,X)1/2.

A Hilbert space is, in particular, a linear space. A metric space need not be. A Hilbert space is, in particular, a metric space. But many metric spaces are not Hilbert spaces.

Ok, those posts help clarify. I do gave some follow up questions though...

Why the need for all these various spaces? I haven't studied all the math I eventually will and have not yet studied quantum physics either so maybe it's just naivity or lack of exposure but I can't figure out why we need this many different ways of describing space...Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, metric spaces, Euclidean spaces, Vector spaces, Reimann spaces... They all have slight differences but wouldn't it then just be useful to generalize all space? I mean this in a similar way to the way the complex number field generalizes (or at least, contains) the natural numbers, the integers, the rationals etc.

Newtime said:
Ok, those posts help clarify. I do gave some follow up questions though...

Why the need for all these various spaces? I haven't studied all the math I eventually will and have not yet studied quantum physics either so maybe it's just naivity or lack of exposure but I can't figure out why we need this many different ways of describing space...Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, metric spaces, Euclidean spaces, Vector spaces, Reimann spaces... They all have slight differences but wouldn't it then just be useful to generalize all space? I mean this in a similar way to the way the complex number field generalizes (or at least, contains) the natural numbers, the integers, the rationals etc.

For the same reason we have all those different kinds of numbers. I can prove unique factorization in the positive integers, but not in the complex numbers. Similarly some statements about special kinds of spaces don't hold about all kinds of space.

Of the spaces you listed all except vector spaces are special cases of what we call topological spaces (which is studied in topology). Many results can be shown in general for topological spaces, but sometimes one needs additional constraints to obtain some results (for instance it's a quite nice result in metric spaces that a subset is compact if and only if it's totally bounded and complete).

A vector space is not a space in the same sense as the others as there is no way to talk about "nearness" in an abstract vector space, but many vector spaces are actually normed vector spaces and these are topological spaces.

rasmhop said:
For the same reason we have all those different kinds of numbers. I can prove unique factorization in the positive integers, but not in the complex numbers. Similarly some statements about special kinds of spaces don't hold about all kinds of space.

Of the spaces you listed all except vector spaces are special cases of what we call topological spaces (which is studied in topology). Many results can be shown in general for topological spaces, but sometimes one needs additional constraints to obtain some results (for instance it's a quite nice result in metric spaces that a subset is compact if and only if it's totally bounded and complete).

A vector space is not a space in the same sense as the others as there is no way to talk about "nearness" in an abstract vector space, but many vector spaces are actually normed vector spaces and these are topological spaces.

Thanks, good post. In hindsight, I probably should have posted this in the Topology section but since I'm here...

Is there any analogous space to the complex number field in that every other number field is a subfield or subset of the complex number field?

Newtime said:
I've been reading about them (briefly), and can't see any large difference between them and metric spaces or even euclidean spaces for that matter. What am I missing?

I read a Hilbert Space is a complete inner product space. But a metric space is a complete space as well with the only difference in definition being the omission of the possibility to measure angles (in Rudin's "Principles of Analysis," and my definition of Hilbert space from Wikipedia...).
No, a metric space is NOT necessarily a complete space. For example, the set of all rational numbers with the "standard" metric, d(x,y)= |x- y|, is a metric space that is NOT complete.

Formally, a complete metric space is called a "Frechet space". A "Banach space" is a complete space with a norm defined. Given a norm, we can define a metric by d(x,y)= ||x- y||. Thus, every Banach space is a Frechet space but there exist Frechet spaces that are not Banach spaces. A "Hilbert space" is a complete space with an inner product defined. Given an inner product, we can define a norm by ||x||= [itex]\sqrt{<x, x>}[/itex] so every Hilbert space is a Banach space (and so a Frechet space) but there exist Banach spaces that are not Hilbert spaces.

The most important examples are L1(A), the set of functions f(x), on set A, such that [itex]\int_A |f(x)|dx[/itex] is finite (and we define |f| to be that integral), and L2(A), the set of functions f(x), on set A, such that [itex]\int_A f^2(x) dx[/itex] is finite (and we define <f, g>= [itex]\int_A f(x)g(x)dx[/itex] which can be shown to be finite also. They are important because they also form vector spaces. In L1(A) we can define "unit vectors" and in L2(A) we can define "orthogonal vectors".

HallsofIvy said:
No, a metric space is NOT necessarily a complete space. For example, the set of all rational numbers with the "standard" metric, d(x,y)= |x- y|, is a metric space that is NOT complete.

Formally, a complete metric space is called a "Frechet space". A "Banach space" is a complete space with a norm defined. Given a norm, we can define a metric by d(x,y)= ||x- y||. Thus, every Banach space is a Frechet space but there exist Frechet spaces that are not Banach spaces. A "Hilbert space" is a complete space with an inner product defined. Given an inner product, we can define a norm by ||x||= [itex]\sqrt{<x, x>}[/itex] so every Hilbert space is a Banach space (and so a Frechet space) but there exist Banach spaces that are not Hilbert spaces.

The most important examples are L1(A), the set of functions f(x), on set A, such that [itex]\int_A |f(x)|dx[/itex] is finite (and we define |f| to be that integral), and L2(A), the set of functions f(x), on set A, such that [itex]\int_A f^2(x) dx[/itex] is finite (and we define <f, g>= [itex]\int_A f(x)g(x)dx[/itex] which can be shown to be finite also. They are important because they also form vector spaces. In L1(A) we can define "unit vectors" and in L2(A) we can define "orthogonal vectors".

Wow, a lot of information to read about, thanks. And yes I had forgotten that not every metric space is complete, don't know why I typed that.

1. What is a Hilbert Space?

A Hilbert Space is a mathematical concept that refers to a complete vector space where elements can be added and scalar multiplied. It is named after the German mathematician David Hilbert and is widely used in functional analysis and quantum mechanics.

2. How is a Hilbert Space different from other vector spaces?

A Hilbert Space is unique in that it has an inner product defined, which allows for the concepts of angle, length, and perpendicularity to be applied to its elements. This inner product also allows for the concept of convergence, which is essential in many mathematical applications.

3. What are some real-life applications of Hilbert Spaces?

Hilbert Spaces have practical applications in various fields, including signal processing, data compression, and image reconstruction. They are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system and in control theory to analyze the stability of a system.

4. Can all vector spaces be considered Hilbert Spaces?

No, not all vector spaces can be considered Hilbert Spaces. A Hilbert Space must fulfill certain criteria, such as being complete and having an inner product defined. Not all vector spaces have these properties, so they cannot be classified as Hilbert Spaces.

5. Are Hilbert Spaces only used in mathematics?

No, Hilbert Spaces have applications in various fields outside of mathematics, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They provide a powerful tool for analyzing and solving complex problems in these fields, making them an essential concept for any scientist or engineer to understand.