Find the amount of Barium Sulphate precipitated

• Thread starter Quantum Mind
  • Start date
In summary, 8 grams of Sulfur is burnt in Oxygen to form SO2 which is oxidized by Chlorine water. The solution is treated with BaCl2 solution and the resulting equation is SO3 + HCl + BaCl2 + H2O = BaSO4 + 3HCl. Using the law of equivalent proportions, the amount of BaSO4 precipitated is 0.25 moles.
Quantum Mind

Homework Statement

8 grams of Sulfur is burnt in Oxygen to form SO2 which is oxidized by Chlorine water. The solution is treated with BaCl2 solution. The amount of BaSO4 precipitated is ?

Homework Equations

SO2 + Cl2 + H2O = SO3 + 2HCl

SO3 + HCl + BaCl2 = BaSO4 + HCl

I do not know if the second one is right and if right, how to balance it?

The Attempt at a Solution

Prima facie it appears that 0.25 mol of S reacts with 0.25 mol of O2 to produce 0.25 mol of SO2.

Beyond this, I do not know how to proceed since the second equation is not balanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did that second reaction equation come from? It's wrong.

yea if they are having you make the equations the chlorine water is a little confusing. Do they mean aqueous hydrochloric acid? You also need to use the equation for the burning of sulfur in oxygen (a reaction I do not recommend trying to do).

@ zaldar:

The first equation should be S + O2 = SO2.

Since Sulfur is only 8 grams (one-fourth of a mole), the quantities involved in this equation are all 0.25 mole. That is easy to figure out.

The question is correct. The answers are

1. 1 mole
  2. 0.5 mole
  3. 0.4 mole
  4. 0.25 mole

I know it is only a question of using the law of equivalent proportions, but I am unable to find the right equations.

"The solution is treated with BaCl2 solution"

Perhaps, this means that H2O is also involved ?

In that case, the second equation would be:

SO3 + HCl + BaCl2 + H2O = BaSO4 + 3HCl

Since we originally started off with 0.25 mole of S & O2 and now we have an equivalent proportion of Ba i.e. 0.25 mole, I guess the answer is 0.25 mole. Am I right ?

Last edited:
Quantum Mind said:
"The solution is treated with BaCl2 solution"[/I]

Perhaps, this means that H2O is also involved ?

In that case, the second equation would be:

SO3 + HCl + BaCl2 + H2O = BaSO4 + 3HCl
Yup, that looks much better.

1. What is Barium Sulphate?

Barium Sulphate is a chemical compound with the formula BaSO4. It is a white crystalline solid that is insoluble in water and has a high melting point.

2. Why is it important to find the amount of Barium Sulphate precipitated?

Determining the amount of Barium Sulphate precipitated is important for various reasons, including monitoring the progress of a chemical reaction, determining the purity of a sample, and calculating the yield of a reaction.

3. How is the amount of Barium Sulphate precipitated determined?

The amount of Barium Sulphate precipitated can be determined through gravimetric analysis, which involves isolating and weighing the precipitate formed in a reaction. It can also be determined through titration, where a known amount of a reagent is added to react with the Barium Sulphate, and the amount of reagent used is used to calculate the amount of Barium Sulphate present.

4. What factors can affect the amount of Barium Sulphate precipitated?

The amount of Barium Sulphate precipitated can be affected by various factors such as the concentration of reactants, temperature, and pH of the solution. Additionally, the presence of impurities or other substances can also impact the amount of Barium Sulphate formed.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when working with Barium Sulphate?

Barium Sulphate is generally considered to be non-toxic and safe to handle. However, as with any chemical, it is important to follow proper safety precautions such as wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and avoiding ingestion or direct contact with skin or eyes.