The physics of rattler magnets

In summary, "rattler" magnets produce a "rattle" noise when thrown together due to the magnets' repetitive collisions while spinning. When placed on a chair leg, the magnet's behavior is affected by the direction and strength of the magnetic field. Stacking two chair legs with a spinning magnet creates a force that propels the magnet down the inclined plane formed by the legs.
jetwaterluffy
The physics of "rattler" magnets

I have been playing around with these magnets (mine are 5.5cm long, 1.5cm diameter at the central bulge), and some of the effects I am not quite sure how they work, although I have some ideas. These are the effects:
First, their actual function, the "rattle" noise they make when you throw them together. However, when you throw one of them at something, metal it makes no such noise, just the ordinary noise of metal on metal. I think perhaps the magnets are both spinning, so switch from repelling to attracting to repelling again, which causes them to bang together repetitively, causing the noise.
When I put the magnet perpendicular to the chair leg at the top, it slides down, while swiveling back and forth. When I put it parallel, it stays where it is. The effect is especially pronounced when I tilt the chair leg 45°. Initially I thought that it was due to magnetising the chair leg, but now I think perhaps it is due to it being attracted to the same direction as the chair leg, and when it isn't in the same direction, the magnetic force is weaker, so it falls down some more.
When I stack 2 of these chair legs together, so the magnet kept is between the top of the two chair legs, and the chair legs come closer together as you go down, then if the magnet is spun, it spins and goes down the chair legs really fast and doesn't appear to slow down. I set it so the chair legs can move to accommodate for the movement of the magnet. If I don't, it still spins and goes down really fast, but it falls off the chair legs. I think perhaps it works in a simerlar way to a ball rolling down a hill, but I'm not sure.
Do you have any explanations, and are any of my ideas right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your observations about "rattler" magnets. I find these types of phenomena very interesting and would love to offer some explanations based on my understanding of physics.

First, let's discuss the "rattle" noise that these magnets make when thrown together. You are correct in your assumption that the magnets are spinning when they collide, which causes them to switch from repelling to attracting to repelling again. This repetitive motion creates the rattling sound as the magnets continue to collide with each other.

Regarding the magnet's behavior on the chair leg, your initial thought of magnetizing the chair leg is not entirely incorrect. When you place the magnet perpendicular to the chair leg, it is attracted to the same direction as the chair leg, as you mentioned. However, when it is parallel, the magnetic force is not as strong, so the magnet is not as attracted to the chair leg and can easily slide down. This is due to the magnetic field being strongest at the ends of the magnet, so when it is parallel to the chair leg, the magnetic field is not aligned with the chair leg's direction.

Lastly, let's discuss the stacking of the two chair legs and the magnet's behavior. This is similar to your previous explanation of a ball rolling down a hill. The spinning motion of the magnet creates a force that propels it down the inclined plane formed by the two chair legs. As you mentioned, if the chair legs are fixed, the magnet will eventually fall off due to the decrease in the inclined plane's angle. However, if the chair legs are allowed to move, the angle remains constant, and the magnet can continue to spin and move down the legs at a constant speed.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your observations. Keep exploring and experimenting, as there is always something new to discover in the world of physics. Thank you for your contribution to the discussion on "rattler" magnets.

1. What are rattler magnets?

Rattler magnets are a type of magnetic material that exhibit a unique behavior called magnetic relaxation, in which the magnetic moments within the material fluctuate due to thermal energy. This causes the magnets to have a higher magnetic susceptibility, making them more responsive to external magnetic fields.

2. How do rattler magnets work?

Rattler magnets work by having a disordered arrangement of magnetic moments within the material, which allows for greater movement and fluctuations. This increased movement makes the magnets more sensitive to external magnetic fields, allowing them to be used in a variety of applications such as data storage and sensing devices.

3. What makes rattler magnets different from regular magnets?

Unlike regular magnets, rattler magnets have a disordered arrangement of magnetic moments, which gives them a higher magnetic susceptibility and a unique behavior known as magnetic relaxation. This makes them more sensitive to external magnetic fields and allows for a wider range of applications.

4. How are rattler magnets used in technology?

Rattler magnets have a wide range of applications in technology. They are commonly used in data storage devices, such as hard drives, as well as in sensors and actuators. They are also being studied for use in medical devices, such as drug delivery systems and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Can rattler magnets be controlled?

Yes, rattler magnets can be controlled by applying an external magnetic field. This allows for their use in a variety of applications, such as data storage and sensing devices. Scientists are also researching ways to control and manipulate rattler magnets at the atomic level, which could lead to even more advanced applications.