What is the mathematical concept behind the shear in gravitational lensing?

• Thread starter zephyr5050
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical concept related to gravitational lensing, specifically the shear parameter that describes the distortion of a spherical galaxy into an elliptical shape. The issue arises when the shear points in two directions, making it more complex to handle mathematically. It is suggested that this concept may be related to elements of a real projective space, but with the addition of distinct magnitudes to allow for different values. The person asking for help is unsure of how to further research this concept and is looking for references or explanations.
zephyr5050
Hello all,

Sorry about the crappy title. I'm actually not sure what the call the thing I'm here to ask about, which is why I'm here.

In the process of reading about gravitational lensing, I've run across an odd mathematical thing that I just don't know how to handle. When a spherical galaxy get's lensed by another galaxy it gets distorted from its original spherical shape into an elliptical shape. People define a parameter known as the shear, which in some sense is a vector whose magnitude tells you the semi-major axis of the elliptical shape, and the direction is the direction of the ellipse from some arbitrary reference point.

Now the issue is, the shear points in two directions. Think of a vector along the major axis of an ellipse that points in both directions. This means this isn't really a vector at all, and as such it has to be handled differently. This usually results in lots of random 2's thrown into equations to account for this property.

I've never really come across this mathematical object before and don't even know what to call it. I heard someone mention the name "polar" but googling that doesn't get me anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what object I'm talking about and can explain them further or reference me to a good site/book about them?

Thanks for your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sounds a lot like elements of a real projective space (take the n-dimensional vectors, 0 excluded, and call two of them "equal" if they're scalar multiples of each other.) For instance, a vector v is "equal" to -v since v=-1*-v.

Not quite, though, since two vectors are still considered "distinct" in this context if they have different magnitudes. You'd probably want the product space of RP##^n## with the positive real numbers to allow for said distinct magnitudes.

1. What is a vector between 0 and PI?

A vector between 0 and PI is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and its angle is between 0 and PI radians (0 to 180 degrees). It can be represented graphically as an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with its length indicating the magnitude of the vector.

2. How is a vector between 0 and PI different from a regular vector?

A vector between 0 and PI is not different from a regular vector in terms of its definition, but it is restricted to a specific range of angles. Regular vectors can have any angle, while a vector between 0 and PI has an angle between 0 and PI radians.

3. How do you calculate the components of a vector between 0 and PI?

The components of a vector between 0 and PI can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The x-component is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of its angle, and the y-component is calculated by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of its angle.

4. What are some real-life examples of vectors between 0 and PI?

Some real-life examples of vectors between 0 and PI include forces acting on an object at an angle, such as a person pushing a box on an incline, or the direction and magnitude of wind blowing on a sailboat. Vectors between 0 and PI are also commonly used in physics and engineering problems involving motion and forces.

5. How are vectors between 0 and PI used in computer graphics?

Vectors between 0 and PI are used in computer graphics to represent the direction and magnitude of objects, such as the movement of a character in a video game or the position of a point in a 3D space. They are also used in graphics software to manipulate and transform images, such as rotating or scaling an object along a specific axis.