Avogadro's Theory: Molecules & Atoms Relationship

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the question is asking about the relationship between the number of molecules and atoms in a chemical equation according to Avogadro's Theory. Avogadro's number is 6.022 x 10^23 and it can represent either atoms or molecules depending on the substance. The equation Si + O2 ---> SiO2 can be written as 1 mol Si + 1 mol O2 ---> 1 mol SiO2 or 6.022 x 10^23 "ATOMS" Si + 6.022 x 10^23 "MOLECULES" O2 ---> 6.022 x 10^23 "MOLECULES" SiO
temaire

Homework Statement

This question might sound confusing, because my teacher said it only once, and I don't think I have it down right. So if the question is confusing but you know what I'am trying to get at, please say so. The question is: According to Avogadro's Theory, how are the number of molecules and atoms related in a chemical equation?

Homework Equations

I don't think equations are necessary.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the number of molecules would be the same as the number of atoms in a chemical equation, but I'am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I understand your question

Avogadro's number = 6.022 x 10^23 "things" = 1 mole

1.the "things" may be ATOMS if the substance is an ELEMENT

so 6.022 x 10^23 "ATOMS" = 1 mole of an ELEMENT

2. the "things" may be MOLECULES if the substance is a COMPOUND (molecular to be precise)

so 6.022 x 10^23 "MOLECULES" = 1 mole of an COMPOUND

For the equation:

Si + O2 ---> SiO2

1 mol Si + 1 mol O2 ---> 1 mol SiO2

6.022 x 10^23 "ATOMS" Si + 6.022 x 10^23 "MOLECULES" O2 ---> 6.022 x 10^23 "MOLECULES" SiO2

If this is not what you mean, then pls ask again, it may be related to the other aspect of Avogadro's principle of gases and equal volumes of gases = equal volumes of moles

(my example is just to illustrate the point, even though also SiO2 really exists as a network solid so its stretching it a bit to think of it as a single molecule)

Thanks for the explanation. You cleared up a lot of the confusion I had. Can you also explain the other aspect of Avogadro's principle of gases and equal volumes of gases = equal volumes of moles that you mentioned please?

glad you got the first part

Avogadro's principle (this he really did - Avogadro's number he never calculated - they just honored him with it since the Principle led others to the huge number)

Comparing gases AT THE SAME TEMP AND PRESSURE (same conditions - not necessarily at STP) in a reaction mixture...

- the volume of Gas A will have the same number of molecules (or can say moles) of Gas B if Gas B has the with the same volume as Gas A

Classic example:

H2 + Cl2 ---> 2HCl

coefficients 1 1 2
volumes (eg. in L) 1L 1L 2L
molecules/mole 1 1 2

or N2 + 3H2 ---> 2NH3

coefficients 1 3 2
volumes (eg. in L) 1L 3L 2L
molecules/mole 1 3 2

so we can predict the volumes of gases using stoichiometry

just remember this works ONLY if the gases are under the same conditions

1. What is Avogadro's theory?

Avogadro's theory, also known as Avogadro's law, states that equal volumes of gases at the same temperature and pressure contain the same number of molecules.

2. What is the relationship between molecules and atoms according to Avogadro's theory?

Avogadro's theory states that one mole of any substance contains the same number of molecules, which is approximately 6.02 x 10^23, regardless of the type of substance. This means that the number of molecules in a substance is directly proportional to the number of atoms in that substance.

3. How does Avogadro's theory explain the behavior of gases?

Avogadro's theory helps explain the behavior of gases by stating that the volume of a gas is determined by the number of molecules present, rather than the size or mass of the molecules. This means that at the same temperature and pressure, gases with different molecular weights will occupy the same volume.

4. Why is Avogadro's theory important in chemistry?

Avogadro's theory is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the relationship between the number of molecules and the amount of substance in a given sample. This is crucial for accurately measuring and predicting the behavior of gases in chemical reactions.

5. How was Avogadro's theory discovered?

Avogadro's theory was first proposed by Italian scientist Amedeo Avogadro in the early 19th century. He based his theory on the observations of other scientists, such as Gay-Lussac, who had noticed that gases at the same temperature and pressure always combined in simple whole number ratios. However, Avogadro's theory was not widely accepted until the early 20th century when it was supported by the work of other scientists, such as Jean Perrin.