Oddness in Library - Physics Forums

• Thread starter matt grime
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a bug where tex is not displaying properly on a post. Clicking on the first ? in a square in the main section shows badly formed tags with ctex instead of tex. However, clicking on edit and saving without making any changes seems to fix the issue. The ctex tags themselves do not affect the rendering. The conversation also mentions using tex on a post about the uncertainty principle and thanks Hoot for their help. Someone asks what ctex is and why it appears on the page.
matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Here's a post I tex'ed up. When I did it it looked fine. Now I get no tex displaying except in the summary part. Clicking on the first ? in a square in the main section yields badly formed tags with ctex rather than tex. But clicking on edit shows only well formed mark up.

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=66

Physics news on Phys.org
matt grime said:
Here's a post I tex'ed up. When I did it it looked fine. Now I get no tex displaying except in the summary part. Clicking on the first ? in a square in the main section yields badly formed tags with ctex rather than tex. But clicking on edit shows only well formed mark up.

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=66
I too have experienced the same bug, it usually happens when someone edits a field containing latex. However, it usually sorts itself out if you edit the field, but don't change anything and then click save.

The ctex tags themselves don't seem to affect the rendering.

it works!

Hootenanny said:
I too have experienced the same bug, it usually happens when someone edits a field containing latex. However, it usually sorts itself out if you edit the field, but don't change anything and then click save.

It works!

Used it on Crazy Tosser's "uncertainty principle".

Thanks Hoot! :smile:
The ctex tags themselves don't seem to affect the rendering.

What is ctex?

Why does it appear on the page, even though it isn't even in the edit code afterwards?

FAQ: Oddness in Library - Physics Forums

What is "Oddness" in the context of a library?

Oddness, in this context, refers to a phenomenon where books or other materials in a library appear to be out of place or do not belong in their designated sections. This can be caused by human error, misplacement, or intentional acts of vandalism.

How does oddness affect the organization and efficiency of a library?

Oddness can greatly impact the organization and efficiency of a library. When books or materials are out of place, it can be difficult for patrons to find what they are looking for, leading to frustration and wasted time. It can also create confusion for library staff and disrupt the system of organization that they have in place.

What are some common causes of oddness in a library?

As mentioned, oddness can be caused by human error, misplacement, or intentional acts of vandalism. Other causes may include books being checked out and not returned, materials being borrowed and not properly re-shelved, or items being moved during library renovations or reorganization.

How can libraries prevent or address oddness?

To prevent oddness, libraries can implement strict organizational systems and protocols for shelving and re-shelving materials. Regular checks and audits of the shelves can also help identify and correct any oddness. If oddness does occur, libraries can address it by reorganizing the affected sections, conducting a thorough search for the missing materials, and potentially implementing stricter consequences for intentional acts of vandalism.

Can oddness have an impact on the accuracy and reliability of a library's collection?

In some cases, oddness may lead to missing or misplaced materials, which can affect the accuracy and reliability of a library's collection. This can be especially problematic for research purposes, as missing materials may contain important information or references. However, with proper protocols and checks in place, libraries can minimize the impact of oddness on the accuracy and reliability of their collections.