How can I compare the vector equation of a line to a vector in the form (x,y,z)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the vector equation of a line, which has the form <x,y,z> = <x0,y0,z0> + t<d1,d2,d3>, in conjunction with another vector. It is clarified that the vector P to Q can be represented as Q - P, which is equivalent to <x1,y1,z1>. Furthermore, it is explained that this equation can be used to determine if a given vector is perpendicular or parallel by performing dot product and cross product tests. The distinction between points and position vectors is also emphasized.
RufusDawes
I am having trouble understanding how the vector equation of a line : (x,y,z) + t(x1,y1,z1) can be used in conjuction with another vector in the form (x,y,z).

I visualise it like this. Points are : O to P and O to Q. So there are two vectors. The vector P to Q is given by Q - P which is the same as (x1,y1,z1).

So that means if someone gives me a vector (x2,y2,z2) to determine if it is perpendicular or parallel I can just use (x1,y1,z1) and do the necessary tests dot product = 0 for perp. and cross product = 0 for parallel ?

Is my understanding correct ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RufusDawes said:
I am having trouble understanding how the vector equation of a line : (x,y,z) + t(x1,y1,z1) can be used in conjuction with another vector in the form (x,y,z).

That isn't an equation since there is no equals sign. The vector equation of a line has the form

<x,y,z> = <x0,y0,z0> + t<d1,d2,d3>

where (x0,y0,z0) is a point on the line and <d1,d2,d3> is a direction vector for the line.
I visualise it like this. Points are : O to P and O to Q. So there are two vectors. The vector P to Q is given by Q - P which is the same as (x1,y1,z1).

Yes. OP is the position vector <x0,y0,z0> and P is the point (x0,y0,z0). And the coordinates of Q-P are the components of the direction vector <d1,d2,d3>.
So that means if someone gives me a vector (x2,y2,z2) to determine if it is perpendicular or parallel I can just use (x1,y1,z1) and do the necessary tests dot product = 0 for perp. and cross product = 0 for parallel ?

Is my understanding correct ?

Yes. Although the test for parallel is easier performed by checking that one vector is a multiple of the other; that's easier than the cross product.

Also note the distinction between the point P = (x0,y0,z0) and the position vector
OP=<x0,y0,z0> It is best not to confuse points with position vectors even though the components of the position vector are the same as the coordinates of the point.

What is a vector equation of a line?

A vector equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a line using vectors instead of the traditional slope-intercept form.

How is a vector equation of a line different from a traditional equation of a line?

A vector equation of a line uses the direction and magnitude of a vector, while a traditional equation of a line uses the slope and y-intercept.

How can I convert a vector equation of a line to a traditional equation of a line?

To convert a vector equation of a line to a traditional equation of a line, you can use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. To find the slope, you can use the formula m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are two points on the line. To find the y-intercept, you can substitute the coordinates of one point into the equation y = mx + b and solve for b.

Can I compare a vector equation of a line to any vector in the form (x,y,z)?

Yes, you can compare a vector equation of a line to any vector in the form (x,y,z) as long as the vector has a direction and magnitude. The direction of the vector will correspond to the slope of the line, and the magnitude will correspond to the y-intercept.

What information can I learn from comparing a vector equation of a line to a vector in the form (x,y,z)?

By comparing a vector equation of a line to a vector in the form (x,y,z), you can determine the slope and y-intercept of the line. This can help you graph the line and find points on the line.