Calculus 2 Book: Advice for Portuguese Students

In summary, the speaker is a student from Portugal taking Calculus 2 at university. They are seeking advice on a book to help them study the course, with recommendations such as "Div, Grad, Curl and All That" and various popular calculus textbooks. The speaker also mentions that pure mathematicians prefer more analytical approaches, but suggests starting with a less rigorous book like Marsden and Tromba's "Vector Calculus."
reisada
Hello I am having calculus 2 at university in my country ( portugal ).
The topics are basically double and triple integrals all the way through stokes.
Do you guys have any advice on a book that could help me study this course?
Thank you very much and I am sorry about my english

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a book called "Div, Grad, Curl and All That" that has received favorable mention here, but Calculus II is almost always part of any freshman calculus text, unless it has been split up into smaller volumes. So I think the best thing to do is to get as many cheap used versions of the most popular calculus texts ---- Stewart, Anton, Thomas, Larson, etc., as you can. There are also many free versions on the web, e.g. Strang, Gill, and our own Ben Crowell. When I get stuck, I find that reading two or three different authors' explanations of a topic is usually more effective than puzzling over a single text, even if it's the world's best.

Pure mathematicians prefer the more analytical approaches of Spivak, or Apostol, or Courant, but IMO most people would do better approaching those as their second pass through calculus, not their first.

You can find reviews of all of those texts on Amazon.com, or by using the search feature of this forum.

Marsden and Tromba have "Vector Calculus" which is not as dumbed down as books like Stewart, but not as rigorous as Spivak Apostol etc., it is somewhere inbetween. In fact, I think books like Stewart are no good for math or physics students. If you want a book that isn't too rigorous, go for Marsden and Tromba.

What is Calculus 2 Book: Advice for Portuguese Students?

Calculus 2 Book: Advice for Portuguese Students is a book that provides guidance and advice for students in Portugal who are studying Calculus 2. It covers various topics in Calculus 2 and offers tips and strategies for success in the course.

Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is Portuguese students who are currently enrolled in Calculus 2 courses. However, the book may also be helpful for students in other countries who are studying the same subject.

What topics are covered in this book?

This book covers a wide range of topics in Calculus 2, including integrals, derivatives, sequences and series, and applications of calculus. It also includes tips and advice for studying and preparing for exams.

Is this book suitable for beginners?

This book is designed for students who have already completed Calculus 1 and have a basic understanding of the subject. It may be too advanced for beginners, but it can serve as a helpful resource for students who are struggling in Calculus 2.

Are there any resources or additional materials included with the book?

Yes, this book includes practice problems and solutions to help students further understand the concepts covered in each chapter. It also includes study tips and strategies for success in Calculus 2.