Analyzing a Pulse: Averaging Spectra & Data Window Criteria

In summary, spectral analysis is a complex field with various methods available. For analyzing a pulse, Welch's method is commonly used as it reduces variance and smooths the estimate, but at the expense of degraded resolution. The suitability of different methods depends on the signal being analyzed. For repetitive and low jitter signals, averaging a lot of data is helpful, while for variable signals, shorter data records are better for determining the spectrum of an individual pulse. In terms of your specific problem, determining the amplitude response for a horizontal seismograph, the difference between the obtained results from forcing with a current and analyzing the spectral density of a pulse and multiplying it with phase velocity squared increases with higher frequencies.
mediocre
Is this method good for analyzing a pulse?
Why is the averaging of the spectra good for noise cleaning?
What's the criteria for defining how much windows in a set of data one should take?

Anyone who clarifies this has a big thanks from me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welch's method divides the data string into short segments, applies a window to each prior to the Fourier transform, averages the transforms, and takes the squared magnitude to produce a power spectrum. It reduces the variance of the DFT spectral estimate (just as Bartlett's method does) and at the same time smooths the estimate in the way windowing always does, at the expense of degraded resolution (also in the way windowing always does). Another advantage over the regular Bartlett periodogram is that the power spectrum is always positive. Most spectrum analyzers use this method.

Answering your other questions requires a deeper understanding of spectral analysis. There are a dozen well-established methods of spectral analysis. DFT-based ones are the simplest and most common but not necessarily best. Model-based methods (AR, MA, ARMA, etc.) are better if you have a model and the time to develop the specific analysis. Non-linear methods (Capon method or minimum variance distortionless response, maximum likelihood, MUSIC, etc.) have far better resolution but are complicated and require a high state of knowledge to use wisely. Wavelets and so-called fractional Fourier transform methods are good for signals with components of varying finite durations (speech, say). Maximum entropy and Bayesian methods are at the top in terms of accuracy, resolution, freedom from artifacts, and also in terms of difficulty and required knowledge. They are seldom used.

The wording of your questions suggests that you are not knowledgeable in these methods. Therefore, go ahead and use a simple FFT-based method. You have plenty of company--probably 90+% of engineers know of and use nothing else.

Well,i didn't expect this much information :) ... but of course,your observation is very much correct.
I had some assignments for class and i just wanted to know,on a whim,why these methods are suited for my task.
MATLAB help points to the Introduction to Spectral analysis from Stoica and Moises,ill guess ill start there and then perhaps another time be more specific...But thanks anyway!

Sure thing.

I can answer your last question in a general way, anyway. If your signal is repetitive and low in jitter (example: output of a radar transmitter), then averaging a lot of data is helpful. Overlap the windows so that all segments receive equal waiting on average. If the signal is variable (maybe receiving UHF radar pulses through the ionosphere during high solar activity), then you'll get a lot of smearing. This might be good if you want to characterize the average propagation channel. If you want to determine the spectrum of an individual pulse, on the other hand, the smearing is bad. Instead use a short data record.

For a given data sequence, the trade between many short segments and fewer longer ones is the trade between lower variance in the spectral estimate, and finer spectral resolution.

I'll be honest and say that i am not following everything you've said but at least you gave some pointers.

And to be direct my problem was determining the amplitude response for a horizontal seimograph.
In the picture on the left is the one obtained by forcing it with a current(via induction).While the right one is given by analyzing the spectral density of a pulse and then multiplying it with phase velocity squared to get the amplitude response.

My problem is the difference that gets bigger with higher frequencies.

Anyway,thanks for the effort,its much appreciated

Attachments

• praktikum.png
    praktikum.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 541

1. What is a pulse and why is it important to analyze it?

A pulse is a rapid and temporary increase in a signal or activity. In scientific research, analyzing a pulse can provide important information about the underlying processes or properties of a system. It helps to identify patterns, trends, and anomalies that can inform further investigations or experiments.

2. What is averaging spectra and how does it help in analyzing a pulse?

Averaging spectra is a technique in which multiple spectra (a visual representation of a signal's frequency components) are combined to create an average spectrum. This helps to reduce the impact of random noise and enhance the signal of interest, making it easier to identify and analyze the pulse.

3. What are data window criteria and why are they important in analyzing a pulse?

Data window criteria refer to specific parameters or settings used to select and process the data within a given time frame or frequency range. They are important in analyzing a pulse because they can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results. Choosing appropriate data window criteria can help to minimize noise and artifacts and improve the overall quality of the analysis.

4. How do you determine the appropriate data window criteria for analyzing a pulse?

The appropriate data window criteria can vary depending on the specific research question and data being analyzed. It is important to consider factors such as the signal characteristics, sampling rate, and desired frequency resolution when choosing data window criteria. Additionally, comparing the results obtained using different criteria can help to determine the most suitable options.

5. Can analyzing a pulse only be done in a laboratory setting?

No, analyzing a pulse can be done in various settings, including a laboratory, field, or even in-situ using remote sensing techniques. The specific methods and equipment used may vary, but the overall goal of identifying and analyzing a pulse remains the same regardless of the setting.