Spivak's Calculus: Chap 1: Problem 3i - Simple Proof

In summary, the problem is to prove that \frac{a}{b}=\frac{ac}{bc} if b and c do not equal 0, using basic properties of numbers. To do this, we can use the associative property (P5) to rearrange \frac{a}{b} \cdot c \cdot c^{-1} as \frac{a}{b} \cdot 1, and then use the identity property (P6) to simplify to \frac{a}{b}. We can also use the inverse property (P7) to show that c \cdot c^{-1} = 1. Therefore, \frac{a}{b} = \frac{ac}{bc} is
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Prove that

[tex]\frac ab = \frac{ac}{bc}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Basic properties of numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't understand what is left to show here? By definition c/c means c*c-1 = 1. So is that is? That is:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\frac ab &= \frac ab \cdot c\cdot c^{-1} \\
&= \frac ab \frac cc \\
&= \frac {ac}{bc}
\end{array}
[/tex]

I dunno. Is that it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please state the entire problem. Are a, b, and c numbers or from some abstract algebraic structure? Is it assumed that c is not 0?

The whole problem is:
Prove the following:

[itex]\frac{a}{b}=\frac{ac}{bc}[/itex] if b and c do not equal 0.

What spivak wants you to do is flip back to about page 9 where he lists his P1-P12 properties and use those to document each step.

Hello :smile:

HallsofIvy said:
Please state the entire problem. Are a, b, and c numbers or from some abstract algebraic structure? Is it assumed that c is not 0?

As QC has noted, yes c and b not 0.
QuarkCharmer said:
The whole problem is:
Prove the following:

[itex]\frac{a}{b}=\frac{ac}{bc}[/itex] if b and c do not equal 0.What spivak wants you to do is flip back to about page 9 where he lists his P1-P12 properties and use those to document each step.

Hi QC So that's what I thought. Does my proof lack anything? I am not sure what is left to document, if anything. I guess to be complete I should show that [itex]\frac ab \frac cc = \frac{ab}{cc}[/itex] by writing them as [itex](ab^{-1})(cc^{-1})[/itex] and using the associate property to rearrange them.

Just trying to get a feel for how these proofs should be written (in a formal sense).

Thank you. :smile:

The first chapter of Spivak's book really emphasizes rigor. If you really wanted to formalize it, you'd have to add more statements justifying your proof. For instance, there's no property that says you can multiply any number by [itex]c \cdot c^{-1}[/itex]; there is one (P6) that says you can multiply any number by the identity, symbolized by [itex]1[/itex], and there's another one (P7) which says that [itex]c \cdot c^{-1} = 1[/itex].

For these beginning exercises, it's probably worth it to go a little overboard with the rigor. Line by line proof, with properties or theorems to the right justifying each step. I think Spivak's intention is to really build a solid base, and to do that you have to really forget everything you know, which is near impossible. That being said, you clearly have the right idea.

FAQ: Spivak's Calculus: Chap 1: Problem 3i - Simple Proof

1. What is Spivak's Calculus?

Spivak's Calculus is a renowned textbook written by mathematician Michael Spivak. It is widely used as a reference for rigorous calculus and is known for its challenging problem sets.

2. What is the topic of Chapter 1 in Spivak's Calculus?

The topic of Chapter 1 is basic properties of numbers and their relation to algebraic operations.

3. What is Problem 3i in Chapter 1 of Spivak's Calculus?

Problem 3i is a proof-based question that asks the reader to prove the commutative property of multiplication for real numbers.

4. How does one approach Problem 3i in Spivak's Calculus?

To approach Problem 3i, one should start by understanding the commutative property of multiplication and its significance in algebra. Then, using logical reasoning and basic algebraic manipulation, one can construct a proof for the property.

5. Is Problem 3i in Spivak's Calculus difficult?

Problem 3i may be challenging for some readers, especially those who are not familiar with proof-based problems. However, with a solid understanding of the commutative property and some practice, it can be solved successfully.