If Cars Had Magnets: What Would Happen?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical possibility of using large electromagnets to prevent cars from colliding with each other. It is mentioned that while it is possible in theory, it would require a significant amount of power and may not be practical to implement. The idea of using magnets to slow down cars is also discussed, with a helpful link provided. However, it is noted that there may be some challenges in implementing this idea, such as determining where to place the south pole of the magnet.
Chemicist
Hypothetically, if two cars had large electromagnets with like-magnetic poles, would they repel if accelerated toward each other at a high rate of speed?

Just one of those thoughts you randomly make up in your head.

Physics news on Phys.org
How 'large' are we talking here? Hypothetically you could get magnets powerful enough to prevent two cars moving toward each other from crashing.

Practicality-wise, it would take a pretty large amount of power to produce a field strong enough to actually stop them. I'm sure there exists something strong enough but fitting it on/in the car might be the problem.

denjay said:
How 'large' are we talking here? Hypothetically you could get magnets powerful enough to prevent two cars moving toward each other from crashing.

Practicality-wise, it would take a pretty large amount of power to produce a field strong enough to actually stop them. I'm sure there exists something strong enough but fitting it on/in the car might be the problem.

Yeah I wasn't necessarily talking about this being a possibility - just wanted to know IF a magnetic field could theoretically become powerful enough to stop cars from colliding.

Chemicist said:
Yeah I wasn't necessarily talking about this being a possibility - just wanted to know IF a magnetic field could theoretically become powerful enough to stop cars from colliding.

Well then it absolutely can happen. It wouldn't be like hitting a brick wall, it would be more like driving into some kind of gel that got thicker and thicker as you went. Mathematically, being slowed by a magnetic field is different than slowing down through thick gel but the idea is the roughly the same.

Thanks for the link, Danger!

It would be dependent on the relative velocity of the two cars and the magnetic power of the magnets used. If you were to use low strength magnets I'd advise a slow relative velocity but if you were using stronger magnets such as neodymium magnets (and enough of it) you could use a relatively large velocity. Hope this helped.

There is one problem with this scheme... For obvious reasons you would want the whole surface of all cars to have the same pole (eg Let's all agree on North). Where would you put the south pole?

I don't think you can make a sphere that's north on the outside and south on the inside.

1. How would the magnets affect the car's performance?

The magnets would likely increase the car's acceleration and top speed due to the magnetic force pushing the car forward. However, the extra weight from the magnets may also decrease fuel efficiency and handling.

2. Would the magnets interfere with the car's electronics?

It is possible that the magnets could interfere with the car's electronics, especially if they are strong enough. This could potentially cause malfunctions or disruptions in the car's systems.

3. Could the magnets be used to power the car?

No, magnets alone cannot power a car. While the magnetic force can help with acceleration, it is not a sustainable source of energy. The car would still need a traditional power source, such as an engine or battery.

4. How would the magnets affect other cars on the road?

The magnets could potentially interfere with the electronics of other cars on the road, causing malfunctions or disruptions. This could also pose a safety hazard if the magnets are strong enough to attract or repel other cars.

5. What kind of magnets would be needed for this to work?

The strength and type of magnets needed would depend on the size and weight of the car, as well as the desired level of performance enhancement. Stronger magnets would generally provide more acceleration, but could also have greater potential for interference or safety concerns.