Why does solder (or braze alloy) flow towards heat?

In summary, the solder or braze alloy will flow towards the heat because of the Marangoni effect. This effect is caused by the temperature-dependent surface tension.
DTM
You hear it over and over again, that solder or braze alloy will flow towards the heat. Another way of saying this is it flows towards hotter metal and away from colder metal. I've done enough soldering to see that it certainly appears to be true. But I've never heard, nor have I found, a good fundamental explanation of why liquid solder or braze alloy flows towards the heat. What force is causing this motion? Any thoughts?

Science news on Phys.org
I think mostly because of the property of soldier to attract some metals like copper, gold, I don't think that it will attract any metal like iron or aluminium.That's why it is very complicated and you have to use special chemicals to solder aluminum wire.I think it is because of some chemical properties of different alloys , metals and solder itself.that's why they have gold plated connectors so that they would be easier and better to solder to and make a stronger contact , try flowing the hot solder unto a iron bar I bet it won;'t hold nor flow it;'s way.
But maybe someone else has something more advanced to say about this.

DTM said:
You hear it over and over again, that solder or braze alloy will flow towards the heat. Another way of saying this is it flows towards hotter metal and away from colder metal. I've done enough soldering to see that it certainly appears to be true. But I've never heard, nor have I found, a good fundamental explanation of why liquid solder or braze alloy flows towards the heat. What force is causing this motion? Any thoughts?

AFAIK, it's due to Marangoni/thermocapillary flow: the temperature-dependent surface tension. However, I couldn't find a definitive result, and a few reports say that Marangoni flow *opposes* wetting.

Good question!

DTM said:
Have you tried soldering without using a flux. Flux dissolves the oxides on the metal surface allowing the solder to wet the metal surface. Have you noticed the flux around the perimeter of the solder - the liquid solder follows the flux.

Andy is on the right track...see here, but an actual description is not really provided:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marangoni_effect

The Marangoni effect (also called the Gibbs–Marangoni effect) is the mass transfer along an interface between two fluids due to surface tension gradient. In the case of temperature dependence, this phenomenon may be called thermo-capillary convection[1] (or Bénard–Marangoni convection[2]).

I suspect one can get more of an insight here:

but I did not look through the equation details...be sure this applies to solids as well as liquids...

Thank you for the responses. The Marangoni effect is a good explanation. I also like the term "thermo-capillary convection", very descriptive. I'm surprised the Wikipedia article doesn't list soldering/brazing as applications of this mechanism, as it is applicable to anyone who has ever sweated copper fittings. If anyone's an expert they ought to add to the Wiki article.

1. What is the scientific explanation for solder or braze alloy flowing towards heat?

The phenomenon of solder or braze alloy flowing towards heat is attributed to capillary action, which is the result of surface tension and adhesion forces between the solder/braze alloy and the base metal. When heated, the surface tension of the alloy decreases, and the adhesion to the base metal increases, causing the alloy to flow towards the heat source.

2. Does the temperature of the heat source affect the flow of solder or braze alloy?

Yes, the temperature of the heat source plays a crucial role in the flow of solder or braze alloy. Higher temperatures result in lower surface tension and increased adhesion, leading to faster and more significant flow towards the heat source.

3. Why do solder or braze alloy flow in a specific direction towards heat?

The direction of flow is determined by the surface tension and adhesion forces between the alloy and the base metal. The alloy will flow towards the heat source where the surface tension is the lowest and the adhesion is the highest, resulting in a specific direction of flow.

4. Can the flow of solder or braze alloy be controlled?

Yes, the flow of solder or braze alloy can be controlled by varying the temperature of the heat source, the amount of flux used, and the surface tension and adhesion properties of the alloy and base metal. Additionally, the design of the joint and the application of pressure can also affect the flow of the alloy.

5. How does surface tension and adhesion affect the flow of solder or braze alloy?

Surface tension is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together, and adhesion is the attraction between two different materials. In the case of solder or braze alloy, surface tension decreases with increasing temperature, causing the alloy to flow. Adhesion plays a role in pulling the alloy towards the heat source, resulting in a unidirectional flow.