Repulsive force btwn electromagnet and permenant magnet (NdFeB)

In summary, the conversation is about someone working on a magnet generator/motor and having questions about calculating the force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet. They are seeking advice and clarification on how to calculate this force using the magnetic force equation. The expert provides guidance on the equation and suggests experimenting with different distances to achieve the desired repelling force.
ajax21
hi all, i am currently working on a magnet generator/motor and i have some qns on electromagnetism.

i am currently trying to find out how much does my electromagnet (ferrite core) requires in order to repel a permenant magnet, in this case, a cylindrical NdFeB magnet.

i have been trying to find out from the web and libraries regarding the force between the magnets and the closest i have come to is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#...magnetic_poles

there r so many other equations but none of them involves an electromagnet and a permanent magnet. so i would like to ask for advice and correction. thanks!

p.s: posted in electrical engineering earlier before realizing there's a classical physics section. my bad!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great to hear that you are working on a magnet generator/motor and have some questions about electromagnetism. Let me see if I can provide some guidance and clarification for you.

First of all, the force between two magnets is determined by their magnetic fields and the distance between them. This is known as the magnetic force and can be calculated using the following equation:

F = (m1 * m2 * μ0) / (4π * r^2)

Where F is the force between the two magnets, m1 and m2 are the magnetic dipole moments of the magnets, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and r is the distance between the magnets.

In your case, you are trying to find the force between an electromagnet (with a ferrite core) and a permanent magnet (cylindrical NdFeB magnet). To calculate this force, you will need to know the magnetic dipole moment of each magnet and the distance between them.

The magnetic dipole moment of a magnet is a measure of its strength and can be calculated by multiplying its magnetic moment (m) by its length (l). So for your electromagnet, you will need to know its magnetic moment and length, and for the cylindrical NdFeB magnet, you will need to know its magnetic moment and diameter.

Once you have these values, you can plug them into the magnetic force equation to calculate the force between the two magnets. Keep in mind that the force will vary depending on the distance between the magnets, so you may need to do some experimentation to find the optimal distance for repelling the permanent magnet.

I hope this helps answer your question and provides some guidance for your project. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your magnet generator/motor!

1. What causes the repulsive force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

The repulsive force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet is caused by the interaction between their magnetic fields. Both magnets have north and south poles, and when these poles are brought close together, they repel each other due to the alignment of their magnetic domains.

2. How strong is the repulsive force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

The strength of the repulsive force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet depends on the strength of their magnetic fields. The stronger the magnetic fields, the greater the repulsive force. Additionally, the distance between the magnets also affects the strength of the force - the closer the magnets, the stronger the force will be.

3. Can the repulsive force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet be controlled?

Yes, the repulsive force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electromagnet's magnetic field. This can be done by changing the amount of current flowing through the electromagnet's coil or by changing the number of wire turns in the coil. By controlling the strength of the electromagnet, the repulsive force can be increased or decreased as desired.

4. What materials are commonly used for permanent magnets in this type of repulsive force scenario?

The most commonly used material for permanent magnets in this scenario is neodymium iron boron (NdFeB). These magnets are known for their strong magnetic fields and are often used in a variety of applications, including in electromagnets. Other materials that can be used for permanent magnets include samarium cobalt and ferrite magnets.

5. Is the repulsive force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet always repulsive?

No, the repulsive force between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet can also be attractive under certain conditions. This can occur when the poles of the magnets are opposite (e.g. north pole of one magnet is facing the south pole of the other magnet). In this case, the magnetic fields align and result in an attractive force between the magnets.