Circular Motion: Proof for Non-Uniform Circular Motion Acceleration

In summary, the centripetal acceleration formula a=v^2/r is derived by saying r= rcosθi+isinθj=rcosωti+rsinωtj and differentiating twice. Because ω is constant, we get a=-ω^{2}r.
GeneralOJB
I have seen the derivation of the centripetal acceleration formula a=v^2/r by saying r= rcosθi+isinθj=rcosωti+rsinωtj and differentiating twice. Since ω is constant we get a=-ω[itex]^{2}[/itex]r.

I've started looking at non-uniform circular motion where there is also the tangential acceleration vector component. I'm told that the component of acceleration directed towards the center of the circle has magnitude v^2/r, but I don't believe the original proof works because we assumed ω is constant, and now it isn't. Can this type of proof be made to work still?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Then you write
[tex]\vec{r}(t)=r \cos [\theta(t)] \vec{i} + r \sin[\theta(t)] \vec{j}[/tex]
and differentiate twice (assuming [itex]r=\text{const}[/itex], because it's supposed to be a circular motion). Then you get
[tex]\vec{v}(t)=\dot{\vec{r}}(t) = -r \dot{\theta} \sin \theta \vec{i} + r \dot{\theta} \cos \theta \vec{j}=r \dot{\theta} \hat{\theta},[/tex]
[tex]\vec{a}(t)=\dot{\vec{r}}(t)=-r \ddot{\theta} \sin \theta \vec{i} - r \dot{\theta}^2 \cos \theta \vec{i} + r \ddot{\theta} \cos \theta \vec{j} - r \dot{\theta}^2 \sin \theta \vec{j} =r \ddot{\theta} \hat{\theta}-r \dot{\theta}^2 \hat{r}.[/tex]
Here I have used the orthonormal basis of the polar coordinates,
[tex]\hat{r}=\cos \theta \vec{i} + \sin \theta \vec{j}, \quad \hat{\theta}=-\sin \theta \vec{i}+\cos \theta \vec{j}.[/tex]
It's clear that [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] points perpendicularly outward from the circle (normal of the curve) and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] along the circle (tangent of the curve).

That shows that the tangential acceleration is
[tex]a_{\theta} = \hat{\theta} \cdot \vec{a}=r \ddot \theta[/tex]
and the normal acceleration is indeed the momentaneous centripetal acceleration as in uniform circlar motion,
[tex]a_{r}=\hat{r} \cdot \vec{a} = -r \dot{\theta}^2.[/tex]
It's easy to calculate that also then
[tex]a_{r}=-\frac{\vec{v}^2}{r}.[/tex]

Likes 1 person
In uniform circular motion ω is constant which means centripetal acceleration ac2R is constant .

In case of non uniform circular motion centripetal acceleration is still given by ac2R ,but as you have rightly said ω is changing ,which means centripetal acceleration is also varying (magnitude changing with time).

In addition there is also tangential acceleration aT = dv/dt .

The net acceleration of the object is given by the vector sum of the two i.e ac and aT .

Since they are at right angles the magnitude is given by aTotal = √(ac2 + aT2)

Thanks a lot!

Yes, the proof for non-uniform circular motion can still be derived using the same method as for uniform circular motion. However, we need to take into account the changing angular velocity (ω) in our calculations.

In non-uniform circular motion, the tangential acceleration (at) is given by the equation at = αr, where α is the angular acceleration. This means that the tangential acceleration is directly proportional to the distance from the center of the circle (r) and the angular acceleration.

Using the same approach as before, we can write the position vector as r = rcos(ωt)i + rsin(ωt)j, where ω is the angular velocity. By differentiating twice, we get the following equations for the velocity and acceleration vectors:

v = -rsin(ωt)ωi + rcos(ωt)ωj
a = -rcos(ωt)ω^2i - rsin(ωt)ω^2j + rcos(ωt)αi + rsin(ωt)αj

Now, we can break down the acceleration vector into its radial and tangential components. The radial component (ar) is given by -rcos(ωt)ω^2i - rsin(ωt)ω^2j, which is equivalent to -ω^2r. This is the same as the formula for uniform circular motion. The tangential component (at) is given by rcos(ωt)αi + rsin(ωt)αj.

Therefore, the total acceleration vector is given by a = -ω^2r + rcos(ωt)αi + rsin(ωt)αj. This shows that the component of acceleration directed towards the center of the circle is still given by v^2/r, but now the angular velocity (ω) is not constant. Instead, it is changing with time due to the angular acceleration (α).

In conclusion, the proof for non-uniform circular motion can be derived using the same method as for uniform circular motion, but we need to take into account the changing angular velocity in our calculations. This shows that the formula a = v^2/r is still valid for non-uniform circular motion, but the angular velocity must be taken into consideration.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path or trajectory. This type of motion is characterized by a constant distance from a central point, also known as the radius, and a continuous change in direction.

2. What is non-uniform circular motion?

Non-uniform circular motion is a type of circular motion where the speed of the object is not constant. This means that the object is accelerating, either by changing its speed or direction, while moving along the circular path.

3. How is acceleration calculated in circular motion?

In circular motion, acceleration is calculated using the formula a = v^2 / r, where a is the acceleration, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula is derived from the relationship between centripetal force and acceleration.

4. What is the proof for non-uniform circular motion acceleration?

The proof for non-uniform circular motion acceleration is based on the concept of centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path. By applying Newton's second law of motion and the formula for centripetal force, we can derive the formula for acceleration in circular motion (a = v^2 / r).

5. How does non-uniform circular motion affect objects in real life?

Non-uniform circular motion can be observed in many real-life situations, such as the motion of planets around the sun, the movement of a car on a curved road, or the rotation of a spinning top. In these cases, the object's speed and direction are constantly changing, resulting in an acceleration towards the center of the circular path.