Master Limits with Analysis Proofs: Get Expert Help Now!

In summary, Limits are the most important concept to remember in this semester's analysis course. In problem 1, we are asked to prove that if f(x) is less than or equal to 0 and the limit of f(x) as x approaches a equals l, then l must also be less than or equal to 0. Using the definition of limits and a proof by contradiction, we can prove this statement to be true. For problem 2, we are asked to show that if f(x) is less than or equal to g(x) for all x and the limits of both functions exist, then the limit of f(x) must be less than or equal to the limit of g(x). This can be proven by using the
gimpy
Hi, I am taking my first analysis course and we are studying Limits right now. My prof said they are the most important thing to remember out of this whole semester. Anyways i have two problems I am trying to solve that i could do with some help.

1) Show that if [tex]f(x) \leq 0[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x->a} f(x) = l[/tex], then [tex]l \leq 0[/tex].

2) If [tex]f(x) \leq g(x)[/tex] for all x, then [tex]\lim_{x->a} f(x) \leq \lim_{x->a} g(x)[/tex].
If those limits exist.

For number one i can see this is obvious but i don't know where to start to try and prove it.

I know the definitions for limits, do i use them somehow?

For number 1) i think that i can use a proof by contradiction somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yah, using the definition of limit will probably be helpful. Proof by contradiction sounds like a good plan, let us know how far you get!

I have been working ont he second question:

2) If [tex]f(x) \leq g(x)[/tex] for all x, then [tex]\lim_{x->a} f(x) \leq \lim_{x->a} g(x)[/tex].
If those limits exist.

Suppose that [tex]f(x) \leq g(x)[/tex]. Let [tex]h(x) = g(x)-f(x)[/tex]. So [tex]h(x) \geq 0[/tex].
[tex]\lim_{x->a} h(x) = \lim_{x->a} g(x) - \lim_{x->a} f(x) \geq 0[/tex]. Therefore [tex]\lim_{x->a} f(x) \leq \lim_{x->a} g(x)[/tex]

Is this right?

Can someone give me a hint for question 1?
Start me off or something...

Last edited:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} h(x) = \lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x) - \lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x) \geq 0[/tex]

What is your justification for this?

Your hint for problem (1) is to assume [itex]l > 0[/itex] and rewrite the entire problem in terms of epsilons and deltas; exactly what you said you thought you should do. :wink:

Originally posted by Hurkyl
What is your justification for this?

Your hint for problem (1) is to assume [itex]l > 0[/itex] and rewrite the entire problem in terms of epsilons and deltas; exactly what you said you thought you should do. :wink:

Ok i had a good nights sleep went to school and came back tonight with a fresh mind to give it another shot. And i believe it worked :D

1) Show that if [tex]f(x) \leq 0[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x->a} f(x) = l[/tex], then [tex]l \leq 0[/tex].

[tex]\forall\epsilon > 0, \exists\delta > 0 \ni[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex] , [tex]0< |x - a| < \delta[/tex], then [tex]|f(x) - l| < \epsilon[/tex].

Assume that [tex]l > 0[/tex]

[tex]\forall\epsilon > 0, \exists\delta > 0 \ni[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex] , [tex]0< |x - a| < \delta[/tex], then [tex]l - f(x) < \epsilon[/tex].

since [tex]l - f(x) > 0 \implies 0 < l - f(x) < \epsilon[/tex]

add [tex]f(x)[/tex] to each side to get [tex]f(x) < l < \epsilon + f(x)[/tex].

Choose [tex]\alpha[/tex] to be the distance from [tex]f(x)[/tex] to [tex]0[/tex]. Then we choose [tex]\delta \ni \epsilon = \alpha[/tex], then [tex]\epsilon + f(x) = 0[/tex]
therefore, [tex]f(x) < l < 0[/tex] which is a contradiction to [tex]l > 0[/tex].

Im sure this must be correct.

I will try number 2 now. Thanks for your hint ;)

You're almost there: given the assumption [itex]l > 0[/itex], you've correctly proven

[tex]\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists \delta > 0 \forall x: 0 < |x - a| < \delta \implies f(x) < l < f(x) + \epsilon[/tex]

however, the next steps are wrong. For instance, the distance from [itex]f(x)[/itex] to zero could, in fact, be zero. (e.g. take [itex]f(x) = 0[/itex], or [itex]f(x) = -|x|[/itex])

I'm also not sure what you're trying to do when you say "choose [itex]\delta[/itex] such that [itex]\epsilon = \alpha[/itex]"... when deriving the contradiction you do get to choose [itex]\epsilon[/itex], but the contradiction must hold for all [itex]\delta[/itex].

You need another hint on this one?

As for number two, the proof you gave almost works, now that you've proven #1... see if you can rewrite it to take advantage of knowing #1. :smile:

1. What is analysis proof?

Analysis proof is a method used in science to prove or disprove a hypothesis or theory. It involves breaking down a complex problem or question into smaller, more manageable parts and using logical reasoning and evidence to support or refute a claim.

2. How do I conduct an analysis proof?

To conduct an analysis proof, you need to first identify the problem or question that you want to investigate. Then, break it down into smaller parts and gather relevant data and evidence. Next, use logical reasoning and analytical tools to analyze the data and draw conclusions. Finally, present your findings and arguments in a clear and organized manner.

3. What are the steps involved in an analysis proof?

The steps involved in an analysis proof include identifying the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, gathering data and evidence, analyzing the data, and presenting your findings and conclusions. It is important to follow a logical and systematic approach to ensure the validity and accuracy of your analysis.

4. How do I know if my analysis proof is valid?

To determine the validity of an analysis proof, you should first make sure that you have followed a logical and systematic approach. Additionally, your conclusions should be supported by evidence and data, and any assumptions or biases should be clearly acknowledged. It is also helpful to have your analysis reviewed by peers or experts in the field.

5. Can analysis proof be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, analysis proof can be used in all scientific fields as it is a fundamental method of scientific inquiry. It allows researchers to systematically investigate and understand complex phenomena and make evidence-based conclusions. However, the specific tools and techniques used in analysis proof may vary depending on the field of study.