Cost of replacing SciAm by Physics Today in news menu on upper right main page

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a change to the main page of the website where links to Physics Today articles have replaced the SciAm news tidbits. However, these links are mostly restricted access and can only be read by subscribers. There may have been prior discussion about this change, but it is unclear. Some users have suggested using a different RSS feed, such as Science Daily, which has been found to be a good source of quality and interesting news.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Does anybody else miss the choice SciAm news tidbits on upper right?

In there place we now have links to Physics Today articles. However these are mostly restricted access or pay-per-view, so one cannot read most of what is offered unless one is a subscriber.

Perhaps this change to the main page was discussed elsewhere and has reasons I don't know about. Anybody have a link to some conversation about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus I will change up the RSS again, I didn't realize they were pay-per-view. I switched out SciAm because they seem to have tweaked their RSS feed and it's messing with PF's formatting.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Marcus I will change us the RSS again, I didn't realize they were pay-per-view. I switched out SciAm because they seem to have tweaked their RSS feed and it's messing with PF's formatting.

I'm sorry to cause trouble (and hope the contact with SciAm does not continue to mess us up!)
just to make sure, I tested and found 6 of the 8 Physics Today links were subscriber only,
so if that is typical of them it does not seem like a good deal.

I've been appreciating the newslinks in the upper right and hope you find a workable solution.

changed to science daily news feed, they seem to be good quality and interesting, thanks!

What is the reason for the change in news menu on the upper right main page?

The change in the news menu on the upper right main page is due to the decision to replace Scientific American with Physics Today. This decision was made in order to better align with the focus and content of our website.

How will this change affect readers' access to scientific information?

This change will not affect readers' access to scientific information. Physics Today is also a reputable and reliable source for scientific news and information, and we are confident that our readers will continue to find valuable and accurate information on our website.

Why was Physics Today chosen as the replacement for Scientific American?

Physics Today was chosen as the replacement for Scientific American due to its strong reputation and credibility in the scientific community. It also covers a wide range of topics and is known for its high-quality content, making it a suitable replacement for Scientific American.

Will there be any changes in the subscription fees for accessing content on the website?

No, there will be no changes in the subscription fees for accessing content on the website. Our subscription fees will remain the same and readers will continue to have access to all of our content, including articles from Physics Today.

Are there any plans to add other scientific publications to the news menu?

At this time, there are no plans to add other scientific publications to the news menu. However, we are always open to considering new sources and will continue to assess and make changes as needed to provide the best content for our readers.