Hints only please: compact iff bicompact

• Thread starter phoenixthoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compact
In summary: Hi!I'm trying to prove compactness --> bicompact, and I'm stuck on the first lemma. Can you help me?In summary, if K is not totally bounded, then K is not compact.Thanks!
phoenixthoth
I'd like hints only please. I have an analysis book and I could look up the proof myself but I'm trying to prove it myself as an exercise; so giving the full proof would be redundant as well as counterproductive to my own learning.

X is a metric space.

In this other book, K is compact iff every sequence in K has a convergent subsequence. I know that topologically, this is not the standard definiton of compact; some authors would call this sequentially compact.

K is bicompact if every open cover of K admits a finite refinement that also covers K. This is how compactness is usually defined as far as I knew.

Hints on how compact implies bicompact and bicompact implies compact would be very much appreciated.

Right now, I'm working on compact implies bicompact so that is the current priority. I don't need hints on the other direction at this time since I haven't tried it.

A general hint like "prove the contrapositive" or "use contradiction" might be helpful though I've tried the first of the two already. I suppose as I await a reply, I'll try contradiction...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean "K is a metric space"?

Sorry for the oversight. I meant that X is a metric space and that K is a subset of X.

phoenixthoth said:
I'd like hints only please. I have an analysis book and I could look up the proof myself but I'm trying to prove it myself as an exercise; so giving the full proof would be redundant as well as counterproductive to my own learning.

X is a metric space.

In this other book, K is compact iff every sequence in K has a convergent subsequence. I know that topologically, this is not the standard definiton of compact; some authors would call this sequentially compact.

K is bicompact if every open cover of K admits a finite refinement that also covers K. This is how compactness is usually defined as far as I knew.

Hints on how compact implies bicompact and bicompact implies compact would be very much appreciated.

Right now, I'm working on compact implies bicompact so that is the current priority. I don't need hints on the other direction at this time since I haven't tried it.

A general hint like "prove the contrapositive" or "use contradiction" might be helpful though I've tried the first of the two already. I suppose as I await a reply, I'll try contradiction...

Thanks!

I'll give you 2 lemmas to prove first:

1. If K is (sequentially) compact, then K is totally bounded.
(A set is called totally bounded, if for any e>0, there exist a finite set [tex]\{x_{k}\}\in{K}[/tex] such that K is covered by the union of disks [tex]D(x_{k},e)[/tex])
2.Let [tex]\{U_{i}\}[/tex] be an open cover of K.
Then there exist r>0, such that for any [tex]y\in{K}[/tex], the open disk
D(y,r) is contained in some [tex]U_{i}[/tex]

(I thought 2. was shockingly strong the first time I saw it..)

Proof by contradiction..

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I went ahead and proved that compact --> bicompact using the two lemmas; now I'm working on proving the first lemma. I'm sort of stuck on it though I haven't tried everything yet. In the next day or two, I may ask for a hint on how to prove lemma 1. I'm now resorting to proving it with contradiction. I want to exhibit a sequence with no convergent subsequence... Still working on it. Thanks again.

Good luck!
I guess you've already figured out how the two lemmas together will prove your main objective..

How does this look for a proof of the first lemma?

We will show that if [tex]K[/tex] is not totally bounded then [tex]K[/tex] is not compact by constructing a sequence in [tex]K[/tex] that has no convergent subsequence. Let [tex]x_{1}[/tex] be any element of [tex]K[/tex]. Note that since [tex]K[/tex] is not totally bounded, [tex]K[/tex] is not covered by [tex]B_{1}\left( x_{1}\right) [/tex]. So let [tex]x_{2}\in K\backslash B_{1}\left( x_{1}\right) [/tex]. Likewise, [tex]K[/tex] is not covered by [tex]B_{1}\left( x_{1}\right) \cup B_{2}\left( x_{2}\right) [/tex]. For [tex]n>2[/tex] let [tex]x_{n}\in K\backslash \bigcup_{i=1}^{n-1}B_{1}\left( x_{i}\right) [/tex]. [tex]x_{n}[/tex] exists because if [tex]K[/tex] is covered by [tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{n-1}B_{1}\left( x_{i}\right) [/tex], it would be totally bounded. The sequence [tex]\left\{ x_{i}\right\} [/tex] has no convergent subsequence because for all (unequal) [tex]i,j[/tex], [tex]d\left( x_{i},x_{j}\right) >1[/tex] and if there were an increasing function [tex]\tau :Z^{+}\rightarrow Z^{+}[/tex] such that there is an [tex]I\in Z^{+}[/tex] such that if [tex]i\geq I[/tex], then [tex]d\left( x_{\tau \left( i\right) },x\right) <1/2[/tex] for some [tex]x\in X[/tex]. That would imply that [tex]d\left( x_{\tau \left( I\right) },x_{\tau \left( I+1\right) }\right) \leq d\left( x_{\tau \left( I\right) },x\right) +d\left( x,x_{\tau \left( I+1\right) }\right) <1[/tex] when we know that [tex]d\left( x_{\tau \left( I\right) },x_{\tau \left( I+1\right) }\right) >1[/tex]. Therefore [tex]K[/tex] is not compact as we have exhibited a sequence with no convergent subsequence.

Is [tex]B_{1}[/tex] a ball with radius 1?
If so, your argument is (slightly) flawed:
The negation is:
There exist some e>0 such that K cannot be covered by finitely many balls of radius e.
(As far as I can see, you can merely substitute e for 1 in your argument to get the proof)

Cool deal. Now I'm working on the second lemma...

Could I have a hint for the second lemma? Thanks in advance.

The negation is:
For every r>0, there exist some y in K, such that the disk D(y,r) is not (fully) contained in any Ui

1. What does "compact iff bicompact" mean?

"Compact iff bicompact" is a statement in topology, which means that a topological space is compact if and only if it is bicompact.

2. What is a topological space?

A topological space is a set of points with a collection of open sets defined on it. These open sets have certain properties that allow us to define concepts such as continuity and compactness.

3. What does it mean for a topological space to be compact?

A topological space is compact if every open cover has a finite subcover. This means that no matter how we cover the space with open sets, we can always find a finite number of sets that still cover the entire space.

4. What does it mean for a topological space to be bicompact?

A topological space is bicompact if it is both compact and Hausdorff. This means that it is both tightly packed (compact) and has enough separation between points (Hausdorff).

5. Why is "compact iff bicompact" an important statement in topology?

This statement is important because it helps us understand the relationship between compactness and other properties of a topological space, such as Hausdorffness. It also allows us to easily identify spaces that are both compact and Hausdorff, which have many useful properties in mathematics.