Looking for Star Wars-like flight physics

In summary, the fighter's surface is coated in hypermatter, which provides resistance in a vacuum similar to the effects of atmospheric flight. This allows for banking, pitching, and yawing, almost as if the fighter were in the air.
dbaezner
I was wondering if I could get a critique of the following pseudo-physics to explain why my sci-fi story includes dogfights in space. I don't want to totally ignore the impossible physics, but I'm looking for something simple. No hardcore sci-fi fan is ever going to buy it anyway. And, yes, it's intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Thanks, Dirk.Andrew asked, How come you’re able to bank without spinning out of control? There’s no gravity or atmosphere up here?

The entire outer surface of the fighter is coated in hypermatter, Joseph said. It’s an exotic element that provides resistance in a vacuum comparable to the effects of atmospheric flight. A little like flying through mud. It allows ships to bank, pitch, and yaw almost as if they were in the air. No one knows why it works, but it makes for great dogfights.

Is it related to hyperspace?

No. Hyperspace is totally different and was discovered first. Then, whatever nut invented hypermatter probably just thought the name sounded cool.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It uses unobtainium, which is standard.
"Exotic matter" does have a special meaning in physics different from how the character appears to mean.
The material's use is just to make combat "look cool" ... i.e. it has no practical value (and appears to hamper actual nanogravity combat - opening a story possibility where some uncouth uncool degenerate gains an unfair advantage just by not using the stuff)

Since the main point is to look cool - engineers could always just rig jets to simulate the presence of an atmosphere in the ships behavior without the need for unobtainium.

dbaezner said:
And, yes, it's intended to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Thanks, Dirk.

Andrew​
How come you’re able to bank without spinning out of control? There’s no gravity or atmosphere up here?

Joseph
Due to the fact that this is a Troma Entertainment Production. With Michael Bay set to direct and story by credits to Will Smith. Audience expectation of flow field physics in a near vacuum will be limited to Stephen Hawking and Michio Kaku.​

1. What is the difference between Star Wars flight physics and real-life flight physics?

Star Wars flight physics are based on fictional technologies and principles, while real-life flight physics are based on the laws of physics and aerodynamics. This means that the way spacecrafts and objects move in the Star Wars universe may not necessarily align with the laws of physics in our world.

2. Can we achieve Star Wars-like flight physics with our current technology?

No, current technology does not allow us to achieve Star Wars-like flight physics. While advances in technology have made it possible for us to build and launch spacecrafts, the technology seen in Star Wars, such as faster-than-light travel and anti-gravity, are still beyond our capabilities.

3. Are there any real-life examples of flight physics similar to Star Wars?

Some scientists have proposed the concept of "warp drive" as a potential way to achieve faster-than-light travel, similar to what is seen in Star Wars. However, this concept is still theoretical and has not been proven to be possible.

4. How does gravity affect flight physics in Star Wars?

In the Star Wars universe, gravity is often depicted as being controlled by technology, such as the artificial gravity on spacecrafts or the planet-destroying Death Star. In real-life, gravity is a fundamental force that cannot be manipulated in the same way as seen in the movies.

5. Can studying Star Wars flight physics help us advance our understanding of real-life flight?

While Star Wars flight physics may not align with real-life physics, studying the concepts and technologies depicted in the movies can inspire new ideas and advancements in the field of space exploration and flight. However, it is important to remember that Star Wars is a work of fiction and should not be taken as a scientific reference.