Mapping a generic quadrilateral onto a rectangle (in 2 dimensions)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of converting a given latitude and longitude to pixel coordinates on a computer image of a grid square from an aviation chart. The shape of the square is approximately rectangular with slightly curved sides, and the corners have known latitude and longitude coordinates. The goal is to determine the transformation that maps a generic quadrilateral onto a rectangle, using matrix algebra. The conversation suggests drawing a picture and determining the desired transformation matrix to achieve this.
HenryHallam
Problem:
I have a computer image of a grid "square" from an aviation chart. The "square" is actually approximately rectangular, but the left and right sides aren't quite parallel and the top and bottom sides are parallel but very slightly curved.
I will assume/pretend that the top and bottom sides are not curved but that they may not necessarily be horizontal w.r.t. the computer image.

The corners of the "square" have known latitude and longtitude. i.e. top left corner has (lat,long) (a,c), top right has (a,d), bottom left has (b,c), bottom right has (b,d) so if you drew their latitudes and longtitudes as cartesian co-ordinates on a plane they would form a rectangle.

I wish to convert a given latitude and longtitude (from a GPS receiver) to a set of pixel co-ordinates on the image, and also vice versa.

The type of projection used by the chart is unknown, and even if I were to work it out I would like to be able to use the same technique for different charts which use different projections.

So what I think I am looking for basically is a way to determine the transformation that maps a generic quadrilateral onto a rectangle, given the co-ordinates of all four corners in both planes.

Is this what I need? How would I go about doing this? I understand the basics of matrix algebra.

Thanks very much for your time!

Henry Hallam

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would start to draw a picture and then think which transformation I want to perform. Then I'd drew a coordinate system and determine the transformation matrix. This can be repeated until the final rectangle is achieved. We can have stretchings with respect to a certain straight, and rotations.

What is a generic quadrilateral?

A generic quadrilateral is a four-sided polygon with no specific shape or measurements. It can have any combination of angles and side lengths.

Why would someone want to map a generic quadrilateral onto a rectangle?

Mapping a generic quadrilateral onto a rectangle is a common mathematical problem that helps in understanding geometric principles and can also have practical applications in fields such as cartography and computer graphics.

What is the process for mapping a generic quadrilateral onto a rectangle?

The process involves identifying the coordinates of the vertices of the quadrilateral, determining the transformation matrix, and applying it to each vertex to map it onto the rectangle.

Are there any special cases or exceptions to the mapping process?

Yes, there are some special cases where the quadrilateral may not be able to be mapped onto a rectangle, such as if the angles are too large or if the quadrilateral is concave.

What are some real-life examples of mapping a generic quadrilateral onto a rectangle?

Some real-life examples include creating maps of irregularly shaped land masses, designing rectangular game boards for board games, and transforming images in computer graphics to fit a specific aspect ratio.