Contravariant vs Covariant components - misprint?

In summary, the authors use the contravariant components of the vector ##\vec s## to define a rectangle region of integration, and although the terminology is questionable, they are correct in using "contravariant" instead of "covariant".
Evgn
In their article [Integrals in the theory of electron correlations, Annalen der Physik 7, 71] L.Onsager at el. write:

By resolving the vector [itex]\vec{s}[/itex] into its contravariant components in the oblique coordinate system formed by the vectors [itex]\vec{q}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{Q}[/itex] it is possible to reduce the region of integration (3.11) to a rectangle. The contravariant components of [itex]\vec{s}[/itex] are defined by:

[itex]s_1 = \frac{\vec{s}\vec{q}}{|q|}, \quad s_2 = \frac{\vec{s}\vec{Q}}{|Q|}[/itex]

Shouldn't they write "covariant components"?

PDF of the article can be found here: http://zs.thulb.uni-jena.de/receive/jportal_jparticle_00133463

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should it be "covariant"? I don't see a reason to mention either of those words. ##s_1## and ##s_2## are just the components of ##\vec s## in the ordered basis ##\Big\langle\frac{\vec q}{|\vec q|},\frac{\vec Q}{|\vec Q|}\Big\rangle##.

However, if I had to choose one of those words, I'd go with "contravariant", because when ##\{e_i\}## is a basis for the tangent space of a manifold, a tangent vector v can be expressed as ##v=v^i e_i##, and the ##v^i## are said to define a contravariant vector. (I strongly dislike this terminology, and don't understand why people are still using it). The "covariant components of ##\vec v##" in this (horrible) terminology would be components of the 1-form ##g(\vec v,\cdot)## in the dual basis for the cotangent space that's the dual basis of ##\{e_i\}##.

Also note that if the manifold is Euclidean, the contravariant and covariant components are the same.

1. What is the difference between contravariant and covariant components?

Contravariant and covariant components are two types of mathematical objects used in physics and engineering. The main difference between them lies in how they transform under a change of coordinates. Contravariant components are defined by their transformation properties under a change of basis, while covariant components are defined by their transformation properties under a change of coordinates.

2. How are contravariant and covariant components related?

Contravariant and covariant components are related by the metric tensor, which is used to convert between the two types of components. This tensor is defined by the inner product of the basis vectors used to describe the space, and it determines the transformation properties of both types of components.

3. Can a contravariant component be transformed into a covariant component?

Yes, a contravariant component can be transformed into a covariant component by using the metric tensor. The transformation follows the rule Ci = gijCj, where Ci represents the covariant component, Cj represents the contravariant component, and gij represents the metric tensor.

4. Why is it important to understand the difference between contravariant and covariant components?

Understanding the difference between contravariant and covariant components is important because it allows us to properly describe physical quantities in different coordinate systems. It also helps us to understand the geometric properties of a space and how it is affected by coordinate transformations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of contravariant and covariant components?

Yes, contravariant and covariant components are used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in areas of study that involve transformations between different coordinate systems, such as relativity, fluid mechanics, and computer graphics.