Blackbody radiation - Radiative flux derivation of the Stefan-Boltz.

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the radiation energy flux equation for blackbody radiation and the jump from particles in a box to blackbody radiation flux. The relevance of photons in a box to the way in which a blackbody radiates is also questioned, and evidence of equivalence between the two problems is discussed. The conversation also touches on the issue of integration range for theta values and the behavior of photons when absorbed on the surface of a black body.
klawlor419
I am trying to resolve some long standing problems I have encountered with blackbody radiation. Namely, the derivation of the radiation energy flux equation $$J=\sigma_{B} T^4$$.
I understand the derivation of the energy density of photons in "a box". $$U/V=const. T^4$$
I do not understand the jump from particles in a box to blackbody radiation flux.

I get the radiation inside a box argument with the cavity modes and etc. That is fine. But what I do not understand is the jump from that model to an actual blackbody. I also understand that a blackbody is purely a thought experiment. Meaning there is no such thing as a perfect blackbody I could hold in my hands.

My problem is that I do not completely see the relevance of the photons in a box to the way in which a blackbody radiates. Why should the particle in a box model be representative of the way things radiate?

In Schroeder's Thermal Physics text he presents a derivation of the radiation flux. The argument makes perfect sense to me. And you can derive the following type of expression for the flux by considering an volume element in a solid angle containing photons in the direction of the by weighting the result with the probability of passing through the effective hole size. You end up with something like this,
$$cu_\omega\cos{\theta}\frac{d\Omega}{4\pi}$$
Where $$\theta$$ goes from $$0 \text{ to } \pi/2$$, which gives you the $$J=cU/4V$$ result.

He then discusses the significance of the second law in determining the equivalence of these two problems, radiation in a box and blackbody radiation. The second law is violated in the following experiment unless a blackbody absorbs precisely as a hole in a box filled with radiation.

Put a black surface (blackbody) directly outside of the hole in a box or spherical cavity. If the two objects are held at the same temperature there should be no net radiation transfer the between, meaning that neither of the two objects temperatures should increase else the second law is violation.

Is this the only evidence of equivalence we have for these two problems? What are the cavity modes in the blackbody?

To get back to my original question, why should the equivalence of the two problems lead us to transfer radiative flux through the hole to the blackbody itself? Is there a derivation of the radiative flux that involves purely a blackbody?

My work is leading me to one issue that the integration range for the theta values in the following is from 0 to Pi by standard definitions of spherical coordinates, when it has to be from 0 to Pi/2 to give the correct answer.

Thanks ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Btw by "long standing problems" I mean nothing more than concepts I have yet to understand. I don't mean to sound as if the problem of blackbody radiation is not resolved.

What happens to the photons when they are absorbed on the surface of a black body?

1. What is blackbody radiation?

Blackbody radiation is the thermal electromagnetic radiation emitted by an idealized object known as a blackbody. This type of radiation is emitted by all objects with a temperature above absolute zero and is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature and radiative flux (or energy emitted) of a blackbody. It states that the radiative flux from a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature, and is given by the equation F = σT4, where σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

3. How is the Stefan-Boltzmann law derived?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law can be derived using the principles of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. It involves calculating the total energy radiated by a blackbody at a given temperature and relating it to its radiative flux. This derivation also involves the use of Planck's law, which describes the energy distribution of blackbody radiation at different wavelengths.

4. What is the significance of the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is significant because it allows us to calculate the amount of energy emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. This is useful in many fields, including astrophysics, where it is used to study the properties of stars and other celestial bodies. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as in the design of thermal insulation and heat transfer systems.

5. What is the relationship between blackbody radiation and the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a direct consequence of blackbody radiation. It describes the behavior of a blackbody and how its radiative flux changes with temperature. Therefore, the Stefan-Boltzmann law is an important tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of blackbody radiation, which is essential for many areas of science and technology.