Object's Velocity: Up, Highest, Down

• Thread starter Gilly1998
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, when throwing an object upward, the velocity is positive in the same direction as the object's travel. At the highest point, the velocity is zero. On the way down, the velocity is negative in the opposite direction. The acceleration is always equal to -9.81m/s^2 and the velocity of the object returning to the hand is -5m/s. The direction of velocity is relative and can be defined differently.
Gilly1998
Suppose I throw an object up in the air. What is the direction of velocity on the way up, at its highest point and on the way down. Accelartion is constant, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gilly1998 said:
Suppose I throw an object up in the air. What is the direction of velocity on the way up, at its highest point and on the way down. Accelartion is constant, correct?
Velocity is just speed but with a direction. As the object goes up, the velocity will be in the same direction as the object travels (up, which is +ve). At the highest point, the object is not moving. And on the way down, the object is moving down, so you can figure the velocity, right?

As for acceleration, it is ALWAYS equal to [tex]-9.81\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

Sorry this is childs play but I am new to physics. So velocity is positive as it goes upward, when it reaches the top it becomes zero, and as it falls velocity is negative.

Suppose i throw an object upward at 5m/s when the object returns to my hand its velocity is still 5m/s, correct? Or wait -5m/s?

Yes,once u chose an axis for the vertical coordinate,then u have various signs for the components of the vectors,in particular for "v"...

So it's -5ms^{-1}.

Daniel.

Gilly1998 said:
Sorry this is childs play but I am new to physics. So velocity is positive as it goes upward, when it reaches the top it becomes zero, and as it falls velocity is negative.

Suppose i throw an object upward at 5m/s when the object returns to my hand its velocity is still 5m/s, correct? Or wait -5m/s?
Anytime an object is moving upwards, its velocity is +ve. Anytime it's moving downwards, its velocity is -ve. If it's not moving, its velocity is zero. So when the object returns to you hand, its velocity is -5m/s. (Same speed as when it left your hand, but opposite direction). Hope you get it now... :smile:

christinono said:
Anytime an object is moving upwards, its velocity is +ve. Anytime it's moving downwards, its velocity is -ve.

This is only true if you define the upwards direction as positive.

Yes, Sirus. Everything is relative. But usually, when you are asked for the velocity of an object traveling downwards, you put down a negative velocity as the answer. :devil:

wow, that's a fast response. I got it now. Thanks everyone :biggrin:

FAQ: Object's Velocity: Up, Highest, Down

What is meant by an object's velocity?

An object's velocity refers to the rate at which it changes its position in a particular direction. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction.

What does it mean when an object's velocity is up?

When an object's velocity is up, it means that it is moving in the positive direction of the chosen coordinate system. This could be up, down, left, right, etc. It is important to note that velocity is a vector quantity and includes both a magnitude (speed) and a direction.

What is the highest velocity an object can have?

The highest velocity an object can have is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is considered the maximum speed limit in our universe and is only achievable by massless particles.

What happens to an object's velocity when it is moving downward?

When an object is moving downward, its velocity is negative in the chosen coordinate system. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if an object is moving downward in the y-direction, its velocity would be negative in the y-direction.

How does an object's velocity affect its overall motion?

An object's velocity determines its overall motion. If an object has a constant velocity, it will continue to move at that speed and in the same direction. If an object's velocity changes, its motion will also change. For example, if an object's velocity increases, its motion will become faster. If an object's velocity decreases, its motion will become slower.

Back