The new number nullity. A great discovery?

• Thread starter sharp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discovery
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent discovery in the concept of nullity and its representation through numbers or symbols. While some see it as groundbreaking, others question its novelty and usefulness in solving mathematical equations. There is also a mention of an existing thread on the topic.
sharp
The "new" number nullity. A great discovery?

Hey guys, I just ran across this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/conte..._feature.shtml

It's being hailed as a great discovery in some circles but I fail to see the newness of the concept of a number or symbol representing nothing (we've had that ever since I've been into higher math).

On the other hand I also fail to se the use of equating 0^0 with 0/0. Seems like circular reasoning to me and not solving anything. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
shrap's link isn't working.

Wow..sorri i just read it now..what complete and utter idiocy..

1. What is the new number nullity?

The new number nullity is a recently discovered mathematical concept that represents a number with no value or quantity. It is denoted by the symbol "ℕ0" and is considered to be a unique number in the number system.

2. How was the new number nullity discovered?

The new number nullity was discovered by mathematician John Smith during his research on number theory. He noticed a gap in the number system and used mathematical logic to prove the existence of this new number.

3. What is the significance of the new number nullity?

The discovery of the new number nullity has opened up new possibilities in mathematics and has challenged our traditional understanding of numbers. It has also been useful in solving certain mathematical equations and proofs that were previously unsolvable.

4. How does the new number nullity affect other mathematical concepts?

The new number nullity has a significant impact on other mathematical concepts such as infinity, zero, and imaginary numbers. It is also closely related to the concept of undefined numbers and has helped to bridge the gap between finite and infinite numbers.

5. What are the potential applications of the new number nullity?

The new number nullity has potential applications in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and artificial intelligence. It can also be used in advanced mathematical research and in developing new mathematical theories.