Integral Problem: Compute f(0) Given f'', f(\pi)=1

• Thread starter Jupiter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: The function f(x) = 1 satisfies the integral. If a unique answer to what f(0) is exists it must be f(0)=1, which is found be integration by parts.
Jupiter
Suppose [tex]f''[/tex] is continuous and
[tex]\int_0^{\pi}[f(x)+f''(x)]\sin xdx=2[/tex]. Given that [tex]f(\pi)=1[/tex], compute f(0).
I'm stuck on this, and I'm not sure where to start. The problem seems like a quickie, and the assumption that f'' is continuous seems curious. Do I have to use the FTC?
A hint, please??

Physics news on Phys.org
What about a substitution? [itex]x \leftarrow \pi - x[/itex] looks particularly tempting. Integration by parts could be helpful too.

f(0)=1.
The constant function f=1 is a solution... (and f'' is continuous)

h2 said:
f(0)=1.
The constant function f=1 is a solution... (and f'' is continuous)

PF is looking better :biggrin:

Ya f(0)=1

But what do u mean by constant function f=1

The function f(x) = 1 satisfies the integral.

f(x) = 1
f''(x) = 0

[tex]\int_0^\pi [f(x) + f''(x)]\sin{x} \,dx = \int_0^\pi [1 + 0]\sin{x} \,dx = - \cos{x}\Big|_0^\pi = 2[/tex]

cookiemonster

Last edited:
(The integral of sine is -cosine)

cookiemonster said:
The function f(x) = 1 satisfies the integral.

f(x) = 1
f''(x) = 0

[tex]\int_0^\pi [f(x) + f''(x)]\sin{x} \,dx = \int_0^\pi [1 + 0]\sin{x} \,dx = - \cos{x}\Big|_0^\pi = 2[/tex]

cookiemonster

Yes, that's true but the original problem was to show that that is the ONLY function that satisfies the equation.

Well, the orignal question was to determine what f(0) is. f itself cannot be determined. Since f(x)=1 works, and yields f(0)=1 we can say that if a unique answer to what f(0) is exists it must be f(0)=1. This is a useful observation, but the solution is found be integration by parts.

matt grime said:
Well, the orignal question was to determine what f(0) is. f itself cannot be determined. Since f(x)=1 works, and yields f(0)=1 we can say that if a unique answer to what f(0) is exists it must be f(0)=1. This is a useful observation, but the solution is found be integration by parts.

ya i agree that's why i wanted out to point that f(x) is not a constant function

u have
[tex] \int_o^{\pi} f(x) sinx dx + \int_o^{\pi} f^{''}{(x) sinx dx [/tex]
u will have

[tex] - cosx * f(x)|_0^{\pi} + sinx * f^{'} (x)|_0^{\pi} [/tex]

with the given conditions u get f(0)=1 not f(x)=1

I was just expanding on h2's post! Don't kill the messenger... =\

cookiemonster

1. What is an integral problem?

An integral problem involves finding the area under a curve using mathematical techniques called integration. It is commonly used in calculus to find the total change of a function over a specific interval.

2. What does f(0) represent in this problem?

f(0) represents the value of the function f at the point x=0. In other words, it is the y-value of the function at the x-intercept.

3. How can f(0) be computed given f'' and f(\pi)=1?

Using the given information, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve for f(0). First, we can integrate f'' to get f' and then integrate f' to get f. Then, we can plug in the value of f(\pi)=1 and solve for the constant of integration. Finally, we can substitute x=0 into the equation to find the value of f(0).

4. Can this problem be solved without knowing f'?

Yes, this problem can be solved without knowing f'. By using the fundamental theorem of calculus, we can directly integrate f'' to get f and then substitute x=0 to find the value of f(0).

5. How is this integral problem relevant in real-world applications?

Integral problems have various real-world applications, including calculating the total distance traveled by an object with varying velocity, determining the work done by a force over a specific distance, and finding the total accumulated wealth over time with varying interest rates. It is also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve various real-world problems.