Register to reply

Why is the parallelogram rule for the addition of forces as it is?

by zexott
Tags: addition, forces, origin, parallelogram, rule
Share this thread:
zexott
Mar1-14, 09:49 AM
P: 2
I feel it must have some deep origin and pointing to something fundamental. Though I know this problem may have no answer: God design it as such.
But I wonder how the first person came up with this rule, where does his/her intuition come from?
Are there something that addition of forces simply must obey due to logic itself?
Are there active research going on that is investigating this?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
256bits
Mar1-14, 10:26 AM
P: 1,424
Would you accept vector addition as being the logic?
bhillyard
Mar1-14, 10:36 AM
P: 32
It is likely that it arose because, at the time this was being developed, probably at the time of people like Stevens (1548 - 1620) most mathematics was carried out geometrically. So the parallelogram construction was the natural mode of working.

bhillyard
Mar1-14, 10:37 AM
P: 32

Whoops, autocorrect jumped in. I mean Stevenus .
adjacent
Mar1-14, 10:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,466
Use the Edit button to correct it.
dauto
Mar1-14, 01:12 PM
Thanks
P: 1,948
All the parallelogram rule does is to enforce that the addition of two vectors actually add their components.
UltrafastPED
Mar1-14, 06:50 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Historically it was an observation about ropes. The rule is equivalent assuming the rule of linear superposition of forces ... that is, application of one force does not interfere with any other. This means that forces form a linear vector space.

The rule dates back to at least the first century BC; it appears in Heron's "Mechanics". But it is probably older.

Philosophers have written on it: file:///C:/Users/Peter/Downloads/1548-24248-1-PB.pdf
zexott
Mar1-14, 09:04 PM
P: 2
Quote Quote by UltrafastPED View Post
Historically it was an observation about ropes. The rule is equivalent assuming the rule of linear superposition of forces ... that is, application of one force does not interfere with any other. This means that forces form a linear vector space.

The rule dates back to at least the first century BC; it appears in Heron's "Mechanics". But it is probably older.

Philosophers have written on it: file:///C:/Users/Peter/Downloads/1548-24248-1-PB.pdf
Ah, observation of ropes, that's how their intuition comes. Now it seems conceivable for me. Your information is very detailed and now I guess I can trace it down. Thank you so much! And thank you all for your time and attention!
adjacent
Mar2-14, 02:34 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,466
Quote Quote by UltrafastPED View Post
file:///C:/Users/Peter/Downloads/1548-24248-1-PB.pdf

Don't you have a web link?
UltrafastPED
Mar2-14, 09:29 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Ooops - the full text is available here: http://www.ehu.es/ojs/index.php/THEO...icle/view/1548

Register to reply