Discover the Number of 8 Letter Words with 3 Vowels and Non-Repeating Consonants

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the number of 8 letter words with 3 vowels and unique consonants. The formula given is 5^3*26*25*24*23*22, but there is a question about whether or not the formula should also account for order. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a combination equation instead of a permutation equation, and the clarification that there are only 21 consonants in the English alphabet. The final conclusion is that the calculation should include the integration of vowels and consonants, which can be done by multiplying by (26 choose 5).
Miike012
How many 8 letter words have 3 vowels constants do not repeat.

Is it
5^3*26*25*24*23*22 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
How many 8 letter words have 3 vowels constants do not repeat.

Is it
5^3*26*25*24*23*22 ?

Don't you have to also factor in order too:

act vs cat vs some nonsense words like tca, cta ...

cafe vs face

Another question how do I know when to use the combination equation or permutation equation?
For instance given the example which is posted above are the following strings the same?

A E I M N P Q R
and
E A I M N P Q R
They both contain the same three vowels and the only thing I changed was the placement of the first and second terms

jedishrfu said:

cafe vs face

so I should add 8! ?

jedishrfu said:

cafe vs face

I'm not sure that would work, for instance

A1 B A2
and
A2 B A1

are the same.

I almost feel like I should add (8 choose 3) instead of 8!

Miike012 said:
I'm not sure that would work, for instance

A1 B A2
and
A2 B A1

are the same.

I almost feel like I should add (8 choose 3) instead of 8!

I think your consonants are unique but your vowels might repeat so you'd also have to factor that in too.

Miike012 said:
so I should add 8! ?

You mean multiply by 8!?
No, your original formula already has some ordering in it.
For the vowels you have 53, so you've already counted all vowel orders.
Similarly, for the consonants, you used 26P5, not 26C5, so you have those ordered.
All that you are missing is integrating the vowels with the consonants. How many ways are there of doing that?

Remember that the vowels are part of the 26 letters. There are only 21 consonants.

Likes 1 person
vela said:
Remember that the vowels are part of the 26 letters. There are only 21 consonants.

I missed that, thanks.

vela said:

How true :redface:

Related to Discover the Number of 8 Letter Words with 3 Vowels and Non-Repeating Consonants

1. How is counting used in scientific research?

Counting is an essential tool in scientific research as it allows for the collection and analysis of quantitative data. Counting can be used to measure the frequency or occurrence of a specific event or item, which can then be used to draw conclusions and make predictions in various scientific fields.

2. What are the different methods of counting?

There are several methods of counting, including manual counting, automated counting with technology such as digital counters or computer software, and indirect counting through statistical techniques such as sampling. The method used will depend on the type of data being collected and the accuracy and precision required.

3. How do scientists ensure accuracy in counting?

Scientists use various techniques to ensure accuracy in counting, such as using multiple counters, cross-checking results, and setting specific criteria for what should be counted. They may also use statistical analysis to verify the accuracy of their counting methods.

4. What are the limitations of counting in scientific research?

While counting is an important tool in scientific research, it also has limitations. It can be time-consuming and tedious, and it may not always capture the full complexity of a phenomenon. Additionally, human error and bias can affect the accuracy of counting, and some events or items may be difficult to count accurately.

5. How does counting contribute to the advancement of science?

Counting plays a crucial role in the advancement of science by providing a way to collect and analyze quantitative data. This data can be used to identify patterns, make predictions, and support or refute scientific theories. Counting also allows for the replication of experiments, which is essential for the validation and advancement of scientific knowledge.