Roots of Complex Polynomials

In summary, the roots of a complex polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. There are multiple methods for finding these roots, including using the quadratic formula or factoring. A complex polynomial can have multiple roots, and these roots can provide important information about the polynomial's behavior, such as where it intersects the x-axis and how it can be factored. Additionally, the roots are closely related to the graph of the polynomial, with the number and behavior of the roots reflecting on the graph's characteristics.
BlakeJA
Question that I came across and that has stumped me for about a week hehe.
Let [tex]p(z)=z^n +i z^{n-1} - 10[/tex]

if [tex]\omega_j[/tex] are the roots for j=1,2,...,ncompute: [tex]\sum_{j=1}^n \omega_j}[/tex]

and

[tex]\prod_{j=1}^n \omega_j}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's consider an easier example first. Let f(x) = x^2 + 3x + 5. If f has roots a and b, then

x^2 + 3x + 5 = f(x) = (x - a)(x - b) = x^2 + x(-a - b) + ab.

Hence a + b and ab equal what? Now generalize.

The sum and product of the roots of a complex polynomial can be computed using Vieta's formulas. These formulas state that for a polynomial of degree n with roots \omega_1, \omega_2, ..., \omega_n, the sum of the roots is equal to the coefficient of the (n-1)th power term divided by the coefficient of the first power term, and the product of the roots is equal to the constant term divided by the coefficient of the first power term.

In this case, the coefficient of the (n-1)th power term is i, and the constant term is -10. Therefore, the sum of the roots is \frac{i}{1} = i, and the product of the roots is \frac{-10}{1} = -10.

So, the sum of the roots is i and the product of the roots is -10. This information can be useful in solving for the specific values of the roots, as well as in understanding the behavior of the polynomial.

1. What are the roots of a complex polynomial?

The roots of a complex polynomial are the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero. These roots may be real numbers or complex numbers.

2. How do you find the roots of a complex polynomial?

To find the roots of a complex polynomial, you can use the quadratic formula or a factoring method. You can also use the rational root theorem to determine possible rational roots, which can then be tested using synthetic division.

3. Can a complex polynomial have more than one root?

Yes, a complex polynomial can have multiple roots. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial of degree n has n complex roots.

4. What is the significance of the roots of a complex polynomial?

The roots of a complex polynomial can provide important information about the behavior of the polynomial. They can indicate the points where the polynomial intersects the x-axis, and they can also be used to factor the polynomial into simpler expressions.

5. How are the roots of a complex polynomial related to its graph?

The roots of a complex polynomial are the x-coordinates of the points where the graph of the polynomial intersects the x-axis. This means that the number of roots can tell you how many times the graph crosses the x-axis. Additionally, the behavior of the graph near the roots can provide insight into the multiplicity and type of the roots.