Is There a Better Way to Prove This?

• Thread starter uman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the discussion is about a proposed solution to problem 2-13 in Apostol's "Mathematical Analysis". The method was developed after a lot of thought and the individual is wondering if there is a better way to prove it. They also mention that their proof may not be valid and ask for feedback on their writing style and minor errors. The conversation then goes on to define a theorem and notation, and finally presents a proof by contradiction.
uman
Discussion: This is a proposed solution to problem 2-13 in Apostol's "Mathematical Analysis". The method came to me after a lot of thought but it seems kind of bizarre and I'm wondering if there's a better way to prove this. I especially think the last part could be made more rigorous/explicit.

Also, I'm not even sure my proof is valid! Tell me what you guys think.

Also feel free to critique writing style, minor errors, choice of variable names, etc...

THEOREM: Let [tex]f[/tex] be a real-valued function defined on the interval [tex][0,1][/tex] with the following property: There exists a positive real number [tex]M[/tex] such that for any finite collection [tex]\{x_1,\ldots,x_n\}[/tex] of elements of [tex][0,1][/tex], [tex]|f(x_1)+\cdots +f(x_n)|\leq M[/tex]. Let [tex]S[/tex] denote the set of all real numbers [tex]0\leq x \leq 1[/tex] such that [tex]f(x)\not= 0[/tex]. Then S is countable.

NOTATION: [tex][x][/tex] denotes the greatest integer less than [tex]x[/tex]. [tex]S_T[/tex] denotes the set of all real numbers [tex]x[/tex] in [tex][0,1][/tex] such that [tex]f(x) \epsilon T[/tex].

PROOF: We prove the statement by contradiction. Assume [tex]S[/tex] is uncountable. Then either [tex]S_{(-\infty,0)}[/tex] or [tex]S_{(0,+\infty)}[/tex] is uncountable (or both).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ack. Delete this thread please.

1. How do you evaluate a proof?

Evaluating a proof involves carefully analyzing the logical steps and reasoning used to arrive at a conclusion. This includes verifying the validity of each step and checking for any errors or fallacies in the argument.

2. What are the key components of a proof?

The key components of a proof include the statement of the theorem or proposition being proven, the given information or assumptions, and the logical steps used to reach the conclusion. It is important to clearly identify and label each of these components in a proof.

3. How can you determine the validity of a proof?

To determine the validity of a proof, one must check that each step follows logically from the previous step, and that the conclusion is supported by the given information and assumptions. Additionally, one should look for any potential counterexamples or exceptions to the argument.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid in a proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a proof include using circular reasoning, making unwarranted assumptions, and making logical leaps without proper justification. It is also important to double-check calculations and equations for accuracy.

5. How can you improve your proof-writing skills?

Practicing writing proofs and receiving feedback from peers or mentors can greatly improve your proof-writing skills. Additionally, studying and understanding different proof techniques and strategies can help you become more proficient in constructing logical arguments.