Horner's Method vs (x-1)^n: Which is More Accurate for Evaluating Polynomials?

• Thread starter rukawakaede
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, when evaluating polynomials, it is more efficient to use Horner's method than 1+x (-4+x (6+(-4+x) x)) when x is close to 1.01. Significant numerical error occurs for the other two.
rukawakaede
Firstly, I am not sure if I am in the right section. Pardon me.

I was reading something related to computational efficiency when evaluating polynomials. Suppose we want to evaluate
[itex]f(x)=1-4 x+6 x^2-4 x^3+x^4[/itex]
it would take n=4 additions and (n^2+n)/2 =10 multiplications to evaluate this f(x) on computer.

We know that it would be better (efficiency and stability) to evaluate f(x) using Horner's method, i.e
[itex]f(x)=1+x (-4+x (6+(-4+x) x))[/itex]
which only take n=4 additions and n=4 multiplications on the computer, (i.e. round-off error will be minimised).

So here is my question: wouldn't it better to evaluate
[itex]f(x)=(x-1)^4[/itex]
since it would only need 1 addition and 4 multiplication?

Could anyone share some insights on this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no, in my opinion, because you need to do some work to go from 1-4x+6x^2-4x^3+x^4 to (x-1)^4. It is not obvious that the two functions are the same.

epsi00 said:
no, in my opinion, because you need to do some work to go from 1-4x+6x^2-4x^3+x^4 to (x-1)^4. It is not obvious that the two functions are the same.

Well, it is just the binomial expansion of (x-1)^4.

I don't understand why we should not evaluate the f(x) directly using (x-1)^4 in terms of computational efficiency.

I believe this is something trivial, but I can't see it myself. Hope someone could give some idea.

I wrote some codes and plotted all the three variations of the functions with x around integer 1. It seems that only Horner's method give a desirable result. Significant numerical error occurs for the other two.

I understand that f(x)=1-4x+6x^2-4x^3+x^4 is give worse numerical result because of the number of multiplications and the rounding error accumulates.

But for f(x)=(x-1)^4, what other reasons (other than number of calculations) could that be?

"Well, it is just the binomial expansion of (x-1)^4."

when you are given "f(x)=1-4x+6x^2-4x^3+x^4" do you immediately recognize it as (x-1)^4? Using (x-1)^4 to calculate the value of the function around x~1 propagates the numerical errors which does not happen with Horner's. (x-1)^4 should be fine for x not close to 1.

epsi00 said:
when you are given "f(x)=1-4x+6x^2-4x^3+x^4" do you immediately recognize it as (x-1)^4?
Alright. I agree that needs some time.

epsi00 said:
Using (x-1)^4 to calculate the value of the function around x~1 propagates the numerical errors which does not happen with Horner's. (x-1)^4 should be fine for x not close to 1.
Thanks. This is what I am looking for.
Could you please explain a little bit more on how numerical errors accumulate for (x-1)^4 when is x is about 1?
I am still not fully understand.

"Could you please explain a little bit more on how numerical errors accumulate for (x-1)^4 when is x is about 1?"

I took the numerical analysis course a long time ago. I am not sure I can provide you with an explanation. It has to do with substracting numbers that are almost equal...

rukawakaede said:
Firstly, I am not sure if I am in the right section. Pardon me.

I was reading something related to computational efficiency when evaluating polynomials. Suppose we want to evaluate
[itex]f(x)=1-4 x+6 x^2-4 x^3+x^4[/itex]
it would take n=4 additions and (n^2+n)/2 =10 multiplications to evaluate this f(x) on computer.

We know that it would be better (efficiency and stability) to evaluate f(x) using Horner's method, i.e
[itex]f(x)=1+x (-4+x (6+(-4+x) x))[/itex]
which only take n=4 additions and n=4 multiplications on the computer, (i.e. round-off error will be minimised).

So here is my question: wouldn't it better to evaluate
[itex]f(x)=(x-1)^4[/itex]
since it would only need 1 addition and 4 multiplication?

Could anyone share some insights on this?
It looks to me like 1 addition and 2 multiplications (2 successive squares).

epsi00 said:
"Could you please explain a little bit more on how numerical errors accumulate for (x-1)^4 when is x is about 1?"

I took the numerical analysis course a long time ago. I am not sure I can provide you with an explanation. It has to do with substracting numbers that are almost equal...

epsi00, thanks. I think I understand now. I nearly forgot catastrophic cancellation.

Last edited:
Calculating (x-1)^4 by first calculating (x-1) and then calculating the fourth power seems to be the only way to get reasonable accuracy, when x is close to 1.

Suppose a multiplication gives a relative error of e, and addition/subtracton gives an error of e/(operand with largest absolute value)

suppose you calculate (x-1)^4 for x=1.01

(x-1) will produce a result of 0.01+e, (hopefully e<0.01)

(x-1) will produce a result of 10^(-8) + 4 * 10^(-8) e, so you get a relative error of 4e.
(ignoring higher powers of e)

The final addition when using horner rule will produce an error of at least e, on a result of 10^(-8), so a relative error of 10^8 (e) (ignoring the errors in the earlier steps),
so Horners' rule is a factor of 2.5 * 10^7 less accurate.

willem2 said:
Calculating (x-1)^4 by first calculating (x-1) and then calculating the fourth power seems to be the only way to get reasonable accuracy, when x is close to 1.

Suppose a multiplication gives a relative error of e, and addition/subtracton gives an error of e/(operand with largest absolute value)

suppose you calculate (x-1)^4 for x=1.01

(x-1) will produce a result of 0.01+e, (hopefully e<0.01)

(x-1) will produce a result of 10^(-8) + 4 * 10^(-8) e, so you get a relative error of 4e.
(ignoring higher powers of e)

The final addition when using horner rule will produce an error of at least e, on a result of 10^(-8), so a relative error of 10^8 (e) (ignoring the errors in the earlier steps),
so Horners' rule is a factor of 2.5 * 10^7 less accurate.

Thanks willem. I just realized that I made some mistake in my code and horner's method is less accurate that (x-1)^4.

Thank you very much.

FAQ: Horner's Method vs (x-1)^n: Which is More Accurate for Evaluating Polynomials?

1. What is Horner's method?

Horner's method is an algorithm used to efficiently evaluate polynomials. It involves factoring out a common term and using repeated multiplication to evaluate the remaining polynomial.

2. How does Horner's method differ from traditional polynomial evaluation?

Traditional polynomial evaluation involves evaluating each term of the polynomial separately, which can be time-consuming for large polynomials. Horner's method streamlines this process by factoring out a common term and using repeated multiplication.

3. What is the benefit of using Horner's method?

The main benefit of using Horner's method is that it is more efficient than traditional polynomial evaluation, especially for large polynomials. This makes it a useful tool for solving complex mathematical problems.

4. Can Horner's method be used for all types of polynomials?

Yes, Horner's method can be used for any type of polynomial, including those with multiple variables and exponents. It is a general method for evaluating polynomials and can be applied to any polynomial expression.

5. Is Horner's method the most efficient way to evaluate polynomials?

While Horner's method is generally more efficient than traditional polynomial evaluation, there may be other methods that are more efficient for specific types of polynomials. It is always important to consider the specific polynomial and problem at hand when choosing an evaluation method.