Do physics majors work for defense contractors?

• Physics
  • Thread starter brushman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics Work
In summary, it can be challenging to get hired as a physics major for a defense contractor, especially for research positions which are highly competitive. However, there are opportunities for physics majors, particularly for those with PhDs, as evidenced by the presence of physics PhDs at some defense contractors. Interning at a defense contractor may also increase the chances of getting hired full time.
brushman
As a physics major, how easily is it to get hired for a defense contractor?

What about a physics PhD?

Physics news on Phys.org
Research positions (PhD) are most likely very competitive. Depending on what courses you have taken and the contractor, you may or may not be filled in for engineering positions. Usually physics constitute as the "other/related major" in the typical academics requirements: CE/EE/CS/related science/engineering major. Research positions are probably at a minimum of Masters but I doubt there are many positions at that level.

No jobs are easy to get in and out of the recession, unless you are a nurse.

I'm a physics major and I interned at a defense contractor for a summer. They had lots of physics PhDs working there, though as far as I know I was the only physics major intern. At the end of the summer my boss said to contact him once I graduated about the possibility of working there full time. So yes, it does appear that at least one defense contractor hires physics majors.

1. What types of defense contractors do physics majors typically work for?

Physics majors can work for a variety of defense contractors, including companies that develop and manufacture weapons and military equipment, as well as companies that provide research and development services for the military.

2. What roles do physics majors typically have within defense contractors?

Physics majors may work as engineers, researchers, or analysts within defense contractors. They may also be involved in designing and testing weapons or developing new technologies for military use.

3. What skills do physics majors bring to defense contractor roles?

Physics majors have a strong foundation in math and problem-solving, as well as a deep understanding of the laws and principles that govern the physical world. These skills are highly valuable in the defense industry, where precision and accuracy are crucial.

4. Are there any specific courses or concentrations within physics that are particularly useful for working in defense contracting?

While all areas of physics can be relevant to defense contracting, some concentrations may be more directly applicable. These may include courses in electromagnetism, optics, nuclear physics, and materials science.

5. What are the potential career opportunities for physics majors in defense contracting?

Physics majors can have a variety of career opportunities within defense contracting, including roles in research and development, engineering, project management, and consulting. They may also have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies and contribute to advancements in the defense industry.