Can We Determine the Product of Two Numbers if Their Sum is Known?

• Thread starter zeromodz
  • Start date
In summary, if we have the equation x + y = z, we cannot determine the value of xy without additional constraints. In the given example, if z = 5, then we can determine xy to be either 4 or 6. However, this is only valid if we also know that x = 0 or 2, which were not explicitly stated in the original conversation.
zeromodz
If we know that x + y = z, can we find out what xy = ?

This is what I did. Say z = 5

x + y = z
x + y = 5
y = 5 - x

xy = ?
x(5 - x) = ?
5x - 2x = ? (Since 2x = x^2)
3x = ?

xy = 3x
x = xy / 3
1 = y / 3 (divided by x)
y = 3

and since

x + y = 5
x + 3 = 5
x = 2

So

xy = (2)(3)
xy = 6.

Please tell me if this is valid. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not clear on your layout: is the value of z known.?.

If so, say z is the constant k . Still, xy cannot be fully-determined with this

info alone: basically, you have one equation with one unknown (if z is fixed/known)

or, worse, if you do not know the value of z, then you have two unknowns and

one equation. One concrete way of looking at the impossibility of finding a unique value for

xy is this: you have a fence of perimeter, say, 5 (where x+y is half the

perimeter, but just multiply by 2 ) around a farm .

Can you determine, using this information alone , uniquely, what the area of the

farm (which is the expression xy/2) is.?. No: you could have x=4, y=1, then xy=4

or x=2, y=3, then xy=6.------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specific Comments:

First, I don't see how you get the result 2x=x^2; it is not an identity; it holds

only for x=0 or x=2 .

Then everything that builds on this cannot work for values x not 0 or 2.

Check, e.g., the case x=4. Then 2x=8 , and x^2 =16

zeromodz said:
Please tell me if this is valid. Thanks

Not valid in general. What you did is just fine if x=2 and z=5, but you would need to know that was true and provide these as constraints along with your original equation.

Think about it. If you start with 3 unknowns and one equation, you need two more constraints. You decided to insert the constraints of z=5 and 2x=x^2, but it's not clear why you did that, and it's not true in general unless you say so. But, you did say so, so what can we say. By the way, with those constraints, you also have the solution z=5, y=5 and x=0.

Now if you had an equation like x+1/y=z/y, then you could say that xy+1=z and hence xy=z-1, then for any given value of z, you would know the value of xy.

Bacle said:
Specific Comments:

First, I don't see how you get the result 2x=x^2; it is not an identity; it holds

only for x=0 or x=2 .

Then everything that builds on this cannot work for values x not 0 or 2.

Check, e.g., the case x=4. Then 2x=8 , and x^2 =16

Wow, I need to be more careful. Sorry. Yes we know what the value of Z is.

zeromodz said:
If we know that x + y = z, can we find out what xy = ?

No. One possibility is xy = z - 1 and another possibility is xy = 2z-4. (If you insist, a third is xy = 3z-9; at least two of these will be distinct.)

1. Is there a scientific method to solve this problem?

Yes, there is a scientific method that can be used to solve various problems. This method involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis through experiments, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions.

2. Can technology be used to find a solution?

Technology can be a powerful tool in finding solutions to problems. It allows scientists to gather and analyze data more efficiently, and also provides new ways to approach and understand a problem.

3. How do scientists determine which solution is the best?

Determining the best solution involves evaluating all available data and evidence, considering potential consequences and impacts, and using critical thinking skills to make an informed decision.

4. Is trial and error a valid approach to finding a solution?

Trial and error can be a useful approach when dealing with complex problems, but it should not be the only method used. It is important to also use other scientific methods and techniques to find the most efficient and effective solution.

5. What role does collaboration play in finding a solution?

Collaboration is crucial in finding solutions to problems, especially in the scientific community. By working together and sharing knowledge, scientists can build on each other's ideas and approaches, leading to more innovative and successful solutions.