Triangle Inequalities Relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the inequalities involving absolute values and their relationships with each other. The main inequality is |x|-|y| \leq |x+y| \leq |x| + |y|, and it is sometimes written as ||x|-|y||\le|x+y|. It is also mentioned that there is no relationship between |x+y| and |x-y|, and the only possible relation is equality which is false. Lastly, it is noted that if x and y have like signs, then |x+y| \geq |x-y|, and if they have unlike signs, then |x+y| \leq |x-y|.
ait.abd
I know the following
[tex]|x|-|y| \leq |x+y| \leq |x| + |y|[/tex]
where does [tex] |x-y| [/tex] fit in the above equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about [itex]x+(-y)[/itex]?

also, notice that there is a sort of better result, but I like the way you wrote it, makes it easier to remember and figure out what might be needed in a problem. But sometimes the left inequality is written:

[itex]||x|-|y||\le|x+y|[/itex]

Just so that you understand when many other people write this.

algebrat said:
How about [itex]x+(-y)[/itex]?

also, notice that there is a sort of better result, but I like the way you wrote it, makes it easier to remember and figure out what might be needed in a problem. But sometimes the left inequality is written:

[itex]||x|-|y||\le|x+y|[/itex]

Just so that you understand when many other people write this.

So

[itex]|x|-|y| \leq |x+y| \leq |x| + |y|[/itex]

and

[itex]|x|-|y| \leq |x-y| \leq |x| + |y|.[/itex]

I think we can't say anything about the relationship between[itex]|x+y|[/itex] and [itex]|x-y|,[/itex]
and in between [itex]||x|-|y|| [/itex]and [itex]|x|-|y|.[/itex]

[itex]|x+y|\ge||x|-|y||\ge|x|-|y|[/itex]

ait.abd said:
I think we can't say anything about the relationship between[itex]|x+y|[/itex] and [itex]|x-y|,[/itex]

You can prove this pretty quickly by plugging numbers in, or just notice that the replacement ##y \mapsto -y## yields the other, hence the only possible relation is equality, which is clearly false.

ait.abd said:
and in between [itex]||x|-|y|| [/itex]and [itex]|x|-|y|.[/itex]

if x and y have like signs then lx+yl ≥ lx-yl if unlike signs then lx+yl≤ lx-yl , check it out and always llxl-lyll >= lxl-lyl

1. What is the Triangle Inequality Relationship?

The Triangle Inequality Relationship is a mathematical concept that states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side.

2. Why is the Triangle Inequality Relationship important?

The Triangle Inequality Relationship is important because it helps determine the validity of a given triangle. If the relationship is not satisfied, then the triangle cannot exist in a Euclidean space.

3. How is the Triangle Inequality Relationship used in geometry?

In geometry, the Triangle Inequality Relationship is used to determine the types of triangles based on the lengths of their sides. It is also used to prove theorems and solve problems involving triangles.

4. Can the Triangle Inequality Relationship be applied to other shapes?

No, the Triangle Inequality Relationship only applies to triangles. It is a unique property of triangles and cannot be extended to other shapes.

5. What happens if the Triangle Inequality Relationship is not satisfied?

If the Triangle Inequality Relationship is not satisfied, then the given lengths of the sides do not form a valid triangle. This means that the triangle cannot exist in a Euclidean space and the given measurements are incorrect.