L^2 convergence implies a.e. pointwise convergence? Since when?

• Thread starter AxiomOfChoice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, if fn converges to f in the L2-norm, then there is a subsequence fnk that converges pointwise almost everywhere to f. This result does not have a specific name, but it can be proven using the definition of convergence in measure and some theorems about convergence almost everywhere. A proof for this result can be found in Billingsley's "Probability and measure".
AxiomOfChoice
My functional analysis professor made the following assertion the other day: If [itex]f_n \to f[/itex] in the [itex]L^2[/itex] norm, then there is a subsequence [itex]f_{n_k}[/itex] that converges pointwise almost everywhere to [itex]f[/itex]. This is the first I've heard of that...can someone point me to a proof of this proposition? Does it have a name?

Physics news on Phys.org
To my knowledge, it doesn't have a name. I'll write the proof down for you: (I also assume that you are working in Lp(R)).

DEFINITION: Let fn be a measurable function. We say that fn converges in measure to f if for each [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]

[tex]\lambda\{|f_n-f|>\epsilon\}\rightarrow 0[/tex]

THEOREM: If fn converges to f in the L2-norm, then the convergence is also in measure.

PROOF: [tex]\lambda\{|f_n-f|>\epsilon\}\leq \int_{\{|f_n-f|>\epsilon\}}{1dx}\leq\frac{1}{\epsilon^p}\int{|f_n-f|^p}\rightarrow 0[/tex]

Now we need some facts about convergence almost everywhere:

THEOREM: The following are equivalent:
(1) fn converges to f a.e.
(2) [tex]\lambda{(\limsup\{|f_n-f|>\epsilon\})}=0[/tex]

I'll assume you already seen this theorem. Otherwise, I'll prove it.

LEMMA: If for all [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] holds that [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{+\infty}{\lambda\{|f_n-f|>\epsilon\}}<+\infty[/tex], then fn converges to f a.e.

PROOF [tex]\lambda{(\limsup\{|f_n-f|>\epsilon\})}=\lim_{n\rightarrow+\infty}\lambda\left( \bigcup_{m=n}{\{|f_m-f|>\epsilon\}}\right)[/tex]

This limit is 0, since

[tex] \lambda\left( \bigcup_{m=n}{\{|f_m-f|>\epsilon\}}\right)\leq \sum_{m=n}^{+\infty}{\lambda\{|f_m-f|>\epsilon\}}\rightarrow 0[/tex]

Now we can finally prove the result:

THEOREM Assume that fn converges to f in measure, then there is a subsequence fnk that converges to f a.e.

PROOF Choose a subsequence fnk such that [tex]\lambda\{|f_{n_k}-f|>1/k\}\leq 1/k^2[/tex]. Then

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{+\infty}{\lambda\{|f_{n_k}-f|>\epsilon\}}<+\infty[/tex]

Thus our subsequence converges a.e.

If something about the previous proof is not clear, then feel free to ask. If you rather want a reference: I got this proof from Billingsley's "Probability and measure". But the proof is a bit spread out, so you will have to do some searching...

1. What is L^2 convergence?

L^2 convergence is a type of convergence in mathematics that describes the behavior of a sequence of functions. It means that the functions in the sequence approach a limit function in the L^2 norm, which is a measure of the square of the distance between the functions. This type of convergence is commonly used in analysis and functional analysis.

2. What is a.e. pointwise convergence?

A.e. pointwise convergence is a form of convergence that describes the behavior of a sequence of functions in terms of their pointwise values. It means that the functions in the sequence converge to a limit function at almost every point, meaning that the set of points where they do not converge has measure zero. This type of convergence is commonly used in measure theory and probability theory.

3. How does L^2 convergence imply a.e. pointwise convergence?

L^2 convergence implies a.e. pointwise convergence because the L^2 norm is a stronger measure than pointwise convergence. This means that if a sequence of functions converges in the L^2 norm, it must also converge at almost every point. This can be proven using mathematical theorems such as the Lebesgue Dominated Convergence Theorem.

4. When was L^2 convergence first introduced?

L^2 convergence was first introduced by the mathematician Henri Lebesgue in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He developed the concept as part of his work on measure theory and integration, which revolutionized the field of analysis. Since then, L^2 convergence has become a fundamental concept in mathematics and has applications in many areas, including physics, engineering, and economics.

5. How is L^2 convergence used in practice?

L^2 convergence is used in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in the fields of analysis and functional analysis. It is commonly used to prove the convergence of infinite series and integrals, as well as in the study of differential equations and harmonic analysis. In practice, L^2 convergence is also used in applications such as image and signal processing, where it is used to analyze and improve the quality of data or images.