Easy question on the Second Sylow Theorem

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Sylow's second theorem states that any two p-Sylow subgroups of a group can be related through conjugation. This means that conjugation is a transitive group action on the set of p-Sylow subgroups. Additionally, the image of a p-Sylow subgroup under any automorphism will also be a p-Sylow subgroup, showing that if there is only one p-Sylow subgroup, it must be characteristic.
Kreizhn
So Sylow's second theorem tells us that if G is a group, p a prime, and H,K are both p-Sylow subgroups, then [itex] \exists g \in G [/itex] such that [itex] H = gKg^{-1} [/itex]. Now I have some questions about this, because I don't think I've ever properly understood the consequences of this theorem.

My issue I think is really the act of conjugation. Namely, this theorem states that we can always relate two p-Sylow subgroups via conjugation, but is it really more that conjugation is a transitive group action on the set of p-Sylow subgroups?

This may sound silly, but we always say that if there is precisely one p-Sylow subgroup, it must be normal right? But the way that I've always read this is that we can only be assured that there is a single element [itex] g \in G [/itex] such that [itex] gPg^{-1} = P [/itex] and that this needn't hold for all [itex] g \in G[/itex]. So I guess what I'm asking is, does conjugation of a p-Sylow subgroup ALWAYS yield another p-Sylow subgroup? This would then clear up a lot of my confusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kreizhn! :smile:

Kreizhn said:
So Sylow's second theorem tells us that if G is a group, p a prime, and H,K are both p-Sylow subgroups, then [itex] \exists g \in G [/itex] such that [itex] H = gKg^{-1} [/itex]. Now I have some questions about this, because I don't think I've ever properly understood the consequences of this theorem.

My issue I think is really the act of conjugation. Namely, this theorem states that we can always relate two p-Sylow subgroups via conjugation, but is it really more that conjugation is a transitive group action on the set of p-Sylow subgroups?

Yes, that's exactly what the theorem says. It says that the conjugation action acts transitively on the p-Sylows.

This may sound silly, but we always say that if there is precisely one p-Sylow subgroup, it must be normal right? But the way that I've always read this is that we can only be assured that there is a single element [itex] g \in G [/itex] such that [itex] gPg^{-1} = P [/itex] and that this needn't hold for all [itex] g \in G[/itex]. So I guess what I'm asking is, does conjugation of a p-Sylow subgroup ALWAYS yield another p-Sylow subgroup? This would then clear up a lot of my confusion.

Yes, the image of a p-Sylow under any automorphism (example a conjuection) is always a p-Sylow. This is true since automorphisms preserve the order of the group. That is, if a group has order pk, then the image under an automorphism will still have order pk.
This shows in general that if there is precisly one p-Sylow, then it is characteristic (i.e. its image under any automorphism is again the p-Sylow)

Excellent. Thanks.

1. What is the Second Sylow Theorem and its significance?

The Second Sylow Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that if a finite group has a prime power order, then it must have a subgroup of that order. This theorem is significant because it allows for the classification and understanding of finite groups.

2. How is the Second Sylow Theorem different from the First Sylow Theorem?

The First Sylow Theorem states that if a finite group has a subgroup of a prime power order, then it must have a subgroup of that order. The Second Sylow Theorem builds on this by stating that the subgroup with prime power order must be a normal subgroup.

3. How is the Second Sylow Theorem applied in real-world situations?

The Second Sylow Theorem is often used in algebraic coding theory, which is used in computer science and data transmission. It is also used in group theory, which has applications in quantum mechanics and cryptography.

4. What are some common examples of the Second Sylow Theorem in action?

One common example is in the study of symmetric groups, where the Second Sylow Theorem is used to prove that the alternating groups are simple. Another example is in the study of finite abelian groups, where the theorem is used to classify these groups.

5. What are the limitations of the Second Sylow Theorem?

The Second Sylow Theorem only applies to finite groups, so it cannot be used to study infinite groups. Additionally, it only guarantees the existence of a subgroup with prime power order, but does not specify its structure or how it relates to the larger group. Other theorems and techniques are needed to fully understand the structure of a given group.