Creating a Water Rocket Simulator with Matlab

In summary, MI would suggest that you first look into conservation of momentum, then take a look at simple kinetics of projectile motion, and finally look into polytropic processes.
CremeBrulee
Hi,

I have recently started a Matlab course and I have been given a task to write a simple water rocket simulator using function files and a main script. I really don't know where to start and feel over whelmed tackling such a huge task, not knowing anything about water rockets.

I would like the simulator to predict from the two user inputted values (vertical altitude and mass of the empty rocket) the required weight of water and air pressure to achieve the desired parameters. The rocket is to be modeled on a standard 1.25 liter drinks bottle. Any information on where to begin would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

M

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by reviewing the basic principles or momentum. That is, conservation of momentum and how change in momentum relates to thrust.

Also, have a look at simple kinetics of projectile motion. A little bit of calculus will be involved for this part of the project, but not much.

Lastly, look into polytropic processes, but more specifically compression of an ideal gas. You will need this to determine how much energy from the compression of the gas will be required to get your rocket to the correct height.

Are you actually going to test the results with real plastic bottles? I'm not sure how much pressure these will take.

Use bottles of carbonated drinks, (such as pepsi, coca cola, fanta etc)... these can withstand more pressure (than the bottle of non-carbonated drink). Max pressure is roughly 10 bars, before it gets blown apart. It also depends on the state of the bottle... if you use duct tape, you can get pressure even higher. Max value is mostly useless and unsafe, so find some more suitable number. Rockets I have seen used like 4 bars, this seems quite enough for a safe takeoff.

Hi All,

I have spent the weekend compiling the required formula for my simulation on the attached sheet .

What has confused me is that the mass of the rocket and the flight duration are the given parameters and the required water mass and air pressure are the required parameters?

Attachments

• Water rocket formulae.doc
    81 KB · Views: 325
How did you go with the USQ Problem soving assignment Creme? Its a hell of an assignment...

...failing miserably in a group with no interest!

what group you in?

FAQ: Creating a Water Rocket Simulator with Matlab

1. What is a Water Rocket Simulator?

A Water Rocket Simulator is a computer program that uses mathematical models to simulate the flight of a water rocket. It takes into account factors such as mass, air resistance, and gravity to accurately predict the trajectory of the rocket.

2. Why is Matlab used for creating a Water Rocket Simulator?

Matlab is a powerful software widely used for scientific and engineering applications. It allows for efficient coding and simulation of complex systems, making it an ideal choice for creating a Water Rocket Simulator.

3. How does a Water Rocket Simulator work?

A Water Rocket Simulator works by using equations of motion and numerical methods to solve for the position, velocity, and acceleration of the rocket at each time step. It then uses this information to update the rocket's trajectory and plot its path.

4. What are the benefits of using a Water Rocket Simulator?

There are several benefits of using a Water Rocket Simulator. It allows for a safe and cost-effective way to test and refine designs before actual launch. It also provides a visual representation of the rocket's flight path, making it easier to analyze and make improvements.

5. How accurate are Water Rocket Simulators?

The accuracy of a Water Rocket Simulator depends on the quality of the mathematical models and input parameters used. With proper calibration and validation, a Water Rocket Simulator can provide accurate predictions of the rocket's flight path.