Where can I find proofs for d. eq solutions?

• Thread starter mike_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary: If so, then you can solve them in one step. If not, then you may need to use a separation of variables.OK true enough. Though we did manage to do the traditional lde's for scientists at uni with never a mention of vector spaces. Not ideal I guess.
mike_
Hello. Where can I find proofs for the solution of d. equations? I can find the solutions but I cannot find the proofs in any textbook.

Specifically, how can I prove the solution for:

y''+ay=0
y''+ay'+by=0

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
if a and b are constants then you have a DE with constant coefficients and you can easily derive the solutions knowing that y=erx is a trial solution.

Any good (not introductory) text on differential equations will contain proofs. For example, it can be proved that the set of any nth order, linear, homogeneous equations forms a vector space of dimension n. That, in turn, implies that if you can find n independent solutions, the general solution will be a linear combination of those.

mike_ said:
Hello. Where can I find proofs for the solution of d. equations? I can find the solutions but I cannot find the proofs in any textbook.

Specifically, how can I prove the solution for:

y''+ay=0
y''+ay'+by=0

Thank you.

You can do the difficult bit and you ask us how to do the easy one?

If you know a solution, then if you know how to differentiate you should usually easily be able to prove it is a solution.

(I may be unpopular
cahesouslachaise.gif
for revealing that for many students that is all they need. And that most "finding" solutions is semi-systematic ways of recognising that you do already know them at least in outline and just need to hammer constants etc, to fit properly.)

Proofs you only need for more general statements like HOI's.

Thanks for the replys. What I am looking for is how to find the solution without knowing it in the first place. A and B are constants.

rock.freak667 mentioned y=e^rx which also requires euler's formula to solve the equations. I don't understand this method and would like an easy to understand explanation. Thanks.

Also can anyone recommend a book that has this solution discovered step by step? Thanks.

epenguin said:
You can do the difficult bit and you ask us how to do the easy one?

If you know a solution, then if you know how to differentiate you should usually easily be able to prove it is a solution.

(I may be unpopular
cahesouslachaise.gif
for revealing that for many students that is all they need. And that most "finding" solutions is semi-systematic ways of recognising that you do already know them at least in outline and just need to hammer constants etc, to fit properly.)

Proofs you only need for more general statements like HOI's.

That depends whether you want to find the solution or a solution. You still depend on the uniqueness of your solution. Some semi-systematic methods may not yield all solutions. Knowing they form a vector space, then finding enough linearly independent solutions will suffice.

Jarle said:
That depends whether you want to find the solution or a solution. You still depend on the uniqueness of your solution. Some semi-systematic methods may not yield all solutions. Knowing they form a vector space, then finding enough linearly independent solutions will suffice.

OK true enough. Though we did manage to do the traditional lde's for scientists at uni with never a mention of vector spaces. Not ideal I guess.

The question seems to have changed - the OP started by saying he can get the solutions but not prove them, but later that seemed to change a bit.

I am saying for a section of say biology etc. students who might well run up against d.e.s just now and then, maybe not often but occasionally necessary, and struggle to see how that one could be solved, or follow the concepts of the solution method offered, that all they need to do is to check that it is a solution which they can do and that will get them through. Then I'll leave the didactic soundness of that to Profs and planners - but I think a lot of biology/biochemistry/chemistry teachers may tell you it's that or nothing.

Is trial and error the only way to discover the solution y=e^rx?

Are the equations separable?

Last edited:

1. Where can I find proofs for differential equation solutions?

The most reliable source for proofs of differential equation solutions is in academic journals and textbooks. These can be found in university libraries, online databases, or through professional organizations.

2. Are there any online resources for proofs of differential equation solutions?

Yes, there are many online resources such as math forums, websites of professional organizations, and educational websites that provide proofs of differential equation solutions. However, it is important to ensure the credibility and validity of these sources before using them.

3. Can I find proofs of differential equation solutions in research papers?

Yes, research papers often include proofs of differential equation solutions as a part of their methodology or results. These can be found in academic databases or through the authors' websites.

4. Are there any textbooks specifically dedicated to proofs of differential equation solutions?

Yes, there are textbooks that focus on the theory and proofs of differential equation solutions. These can be found in university libraries or through online booksellers.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of a proof for a differential equation solution?

You can verify the accuracy of a proof by checking it against multiple sources and consulting with experts in the field. It is also important to carefully review the steps and logic of the proof to ensure its validity.