Statistical Thermodinamics: how many ways to make a set of population?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box containing three particles with different energies and the calculation of the number of ways the set of population can be realized. The well-known Boltzmann formula is mentioned and the conclusion is that there are three ways to set up the vector \vec{n}.
teddd
Hi everyone!

Here's my problem of the day:

Let's take a box containing 3 identical (but distinguishable) particles A B C. Let this be a canonical ensamble.

Suppose that A has energy [itex]\varepsilon_0[/itex] and both B and C have energy [itex]\varepsilon_1[/itex]. We thereforre have 2 energy level, [itex]n_0,n_1[/itex]. Take the number of states [itex]g_{\alpha}[/itex] in each energy level [itex]\varepsilon_{\alpha}[/itex] to be [itex]1[/itex].

Now, I want to calculate in how many ways the set of population [itex]\vec{n}=(n_0,n_1)[/itex] can be realized.

At first sight I'd say that they're two: I can take [itex](A,BC)[/itex] or [itex](A,CB)[/itex], being the particle distinguishable.

But if I use the well-known Boltzmann forumula [tex]W(\vec{n})=N!\prod_{\alpha}\frac{ g_{\alpha}^{n_{\alpha}}}{n_{\alpha}}[/tex] and I put in the g's and n's I've taken above I get:[tex]W(\vec{n})=3! \left(\frac{1^1}{1!}\frac{1^2}{2!}\right)=3[/tex]so there should be three ways to set up the vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex]!

Where am I mistaking?? Thanks for help!

Science news on Phys.org
Ah, well, it's ok! I figured that out, I've done some serious rookie mistakes...

Related to Statistical Thermodinamics: how many ways to make a set of population?

1. How is statistical thermodynamics related to the concept of population?

Statistical thermodynamics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of a large number of particles in a system. This includes understanding the distribution of particles within a population and how they interact with each other.

2. What is the significance of understanding the ways to make a set of population?

Understanding the ways to make a set of population is important in statistical thermodynamics because it allows us to predict the behavior of a system based on the properties of its individual particles. This information is crucial in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.

3. How is the concept of entropy related to statistical thermodynamics and population sets?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In statistical thermodynamics, the concept of entropy is used to describe the distribution of particles within a population. As the number of ways to make a set of population increases, the entropy also increases, leading to a more disordered system.

4. Can statistical thermodynamics be applied to non-equilibrium systems?

Yes, statistical thermodynamics can be applied to both equilibrium and non-equilibrium systems. However, it is more commonly used in equilibrium systems, where the number of ways to make a set of population is constant. In non-equilibrium systems, the number of ways to make a set of population may change over time, making the analysis more complex.

5. How can statistical thermodynamics be used to predict the behavior of a system?

Statistical thermodynamics uses mathematical models and statistical methods to analyze the behavior of a system based on the properties of its individual particles. By understanding the ways to make a set of population, we can predict the macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and energy, and how they change over time.