Volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the volume between a two-dimensional 3 degree polynomial curve and the baseline. The individual seeking help is unsure of how to integrate this within the fit range and is looking for a less labor-intensive solution. They also mention the possibility of the surface going below z=0 and how to handle that in the calculation.
Billy70
Hello

Firstly apologies for what seems like an extremely fundamental question, it's been a while since I've done any calculus!

I'm currently using a program to fit data with a two dimensional 3 degree polynomial curve( which outputs the fit in the following format) with the aim of calculating the volume between the curve and the baseline:
z = a + bx + cy + d(x^2) + exy + f(y^2) + g(x^3) + h(x^2y) + i(xy^2) + j(y^3)

However I'm struggling to integrate this w.r.t. dydx within the fit range, having previously only calculated areas in this way.

An ideal solution would be to calculate the volume by inputting the constants into a script,as is possible with two dimensional Gaussians. Since there are >200 curves to analyse per dataset so integrating each fit manually will be extremely labour intensive!

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Billy

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean that you want the volume between the surface and z=0? If so, how are the bounds of the integration defined? Are there specific ranges of x and y? Can the surface go below z=0 anywhere in the range? If so, how do you want to treat that?

Hi haruspex,

Yes I want the volume between the surface and z=0. The bounds of the integration are manually defined e.g. 0 and 20 in x and y. Assuming a good fit, no, the surface should not go below z=0 within the range as this is below the parameters of the dataset, however if this occurs then I would only want to count the volume above z=0.

Thanks
Billy

If I understand this correctly you want the volume beneath [itex]z = a + bx + cy + d(x^2) + exy + f(y^2) + g(x^3) + h(x^2y) + i(xy^2) + j(y^3)[/itex], above the xy-plane, z= 0, and bounded on the sides by the planes x= 0, x= 20, y= 0, and y= 20. That is, of course,
[tex] \int_{x=0}^{20}\int_{y= 0}^{20}(a+ bx+ cy+ dx^2+ exy+ fy^2+ gx^3+ hx^2y+ jy^3)dx[/tex]
[tex] = \left[ax+ bx^2/2+ cy^2/2+ dx^3/3+ ex^2y/2+ exy^2/2+ fy^3/3+ gx^4/4+ yx^3y/3+ hx^2y^2/2+ jy^4/4\right]_{x=0, y=0}^{x=20, y=20}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy70 said:
the surface should not go below z=0 within the range as this is below the parameters of the dataset, however if this occurs then I would only want to count the volume above z=0.
To cover that eventuality, you will need to find whereabouts z<0 and remove those areas from the integral. Finding those areas is messy (solving a cubic) and skirting around them in the integral could get very difficult. Maybe you could check for whether it's likely to happen just by evaluating z across a grid of points.

1. What is the definition of "volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial"?

The volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial refers to the space enclosed by a polynomial function and the x-y plane. It can also be thought of as the area between the curve of the polynomial and the x-axis.

2. How is the volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial calculated?

The volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial can be calculated by using the integral of the polynomial function over a given interval. This integral will give the volume between the polynomial and the x-y plane.

3. What is the difference between volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial and volume beneath a three-dimensional polynomial?

The main difference is that volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial only considers the x-y plane, while volume beneath a three-dimensional polynomial takes into account the z-axis as well. This means that the three-dimensional polynomial will have a greater volume than the two-dimensional polynomial.

4. Can the volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial be negative?

No, the volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial cannot be negative. It represents the physical space between the polynomial and the x-y plane, so it will always be a positive value.

5. How is the volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial used in real-world applications?

The volume beneath a two-dimensional polynomial can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can help calculate the area of a shape or the amount of space occupied by an object. It is also used in integration to find the total accumulated value of a function over a given interval.